Nick Kyrgios backs decision to allow Novak Djokovic to play at 2023 Australian Open

·

Tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, has backed the decision to allow Novak Djokovic to compete at the 2023 Australian Open in Melbourne, Victoria next month, The Daily Telegraph has reported.

Kyrgios said during an interview at the World Tennis League in Dubai on Wednesday that Serbian tennis player Djokovic “needs to be playing at all costs” at the Australian tournament.

“He’s one of the greatest of all time and as long as he’s going to be playing and hanging around, we need him at these tournaments,” Kyrgios said.

Novak Djokovic (left) defeated Nick Kyrgios (right) at Wimbledon this year.

“And if I win a tournament, if you don’t go through Novak, then you kind of know the tournament isn’t really a tournament.”

Djokovic was banned from returning to Australia as a consequence of being deported earlier this year over his refusal to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

That decision has since been reversed and the 21-time major champion will get the opportunity to vie for a record-extending 10th Australian Open crown in a few weeks’ time.

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

READ MORE: Novak Djokovic defeats Nick Kyrgios to win Wimbledon final.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Marcus Stoinis announces shock retirement from one-day international cricket

Australian all-rounder Marcus Stoinis has announced his retirement from One Day International cricket just weeks before the Champions Trophy.

Traditional Cypriot recipes: Halloumi Ravioles

Niki Louca from My Greek Kitchen shares her favourite recipe for delicious and easy to make Halloumi Ravioles.

Dean Kalimniou to give the 2026 Pontian Genocide Memorial Seminar

The Greek Community of Melbourne (GCM) and Pontiaki Estia will jointly host the 2026 Pontian Genocide Memorial Seminar next week.