Calls grow to hold George Kambosos Jr rematch in Sydney

·

NSW Sport and Tourism Minister, Stuart Ayres, has confirmed to The Sydney Morning Herald that he wants to hold the George Kambosos Jr versus Devin Haney rematch in Sydney later this year.

“Destination NSW would be more than happy to talk to his management team,” Ayres told the Herald. “NSW would absolutely be open to hosting a rematch.”

READ MORE: ‘We’re doing it again’: George Kambosos Jr promises a rematch after loss to Devin Haney.

Since Kambosos’ loss to Haney on Sunday afternoon at Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium, the prospect of a rematch has been the subject of confusion.

George Kambosos Jr v Devin Haney. Photo: The Greek Herald / Chris Spyrou.

Kambosos has been adamant he had a rematch clause in his contract and under that agreement, it would be held in Melbourne.

But during a media conference on Sunday, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who represents Haney, said the fight could also be held in Sydney or Brisbane.

READ MORE: ‘We’re a solid father and son team’: Jim Kambosos on his relationship with George Kambosos Jr.

Jim with son George at Ferocious Boxing. Photo: The Greek Herald / Chris Spyrou.

Kambosos’ father and manager, Jim, has already flagged a fight at the new Allianz Stadium in Sydney, which is due for completion at the end of August.

Whether the rematch will be held in Sydney or Melbourne, Kambosos has promised Greek fans some exciting viewing.

“I’m going to change a few things and get him back at the end of this year… we’re doing it again,” he said.

READ MORE: Fans turn Federation Square blue and white ahead of George Kambosos Jr world title defence.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Melbourne Greek Community in talks with the Prime Ministers of Greece and Australia about lifting travel bans

The Greek Community of Melbourne has recently written to the Prime Ministers of Greece and Australia about when the travel restrictions will be eased.

Arthur Karamalis’ gelato family legacy lives on in South Australia

For George Karamalis, gelato is more than a treat—it’s a family tradition and the foundation of a thriving South Australian business.

‘Ange & the Boss’ enjoys sold-out screenings at Melbourne Greek Film Festival

Over the last week, a new sports documentary ANGE & THE BOSS has premiered before sold out cinema audiences in Sydney and Melbourne.