Remaining tourists stranded from Thomas Cook bankruptcy will be repatriated soon

·

The repatriation of the 50,000 tourists stranded at 13 different locations in Greece following the bankruptcy of travel agency Thomas Cook will be completed by the beginning of October, Deputy Tourism Minister Manolis Konsolas said on Monday.

Konsolas added that some 6,331 tourists at South Aegean islands have already been returned to their home countries, soon to be followed by the remaining 958.

Thomas Cook said it had been forced to seek insolvency to extricate itself from its UK parent company’s “financial tie-ups and related liabilities”.

Under EU package holiday rules, tourists are covered financially from a company’s insolvency as well as have the right to repatriation.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

The Hellenic Initiative’s 7th Annual Gala raises more than $2.3 Million

The Hellenic Initiative’s 7th Annual Gala has raised more than $2.3 million by enthusiastic response from the Greek diaspora. Beatriz Perez, The Coca-Cola Company SVP,...

British MPs call for Parthenon Marbles to be returned to Greece amid museum protest

Six British MPs have expressed support for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece as people held a protest inside the British Museum.

Channel Nine and reporter Josh Bavas hit back after Bob Katter MP outburst

Channel Nine has condemned federal MP Bob Katter’s behaviour after a fiery press conference where he threatened journalist Josh Bavas.