Peter V’landys on receiving permission for the NRL’s return: ‘We could do it tomorrow if we wanted’

·

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has hit back at NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard’s claims on Friday that he will need permission to resume the season. According to the Sydney Morning Herald, V’landys has claimed that the NRL has received appropriate permission and the NRL could resume “tomorrow if we wanted to”.

The NSW Health Minister said on Good Friday that he had not spoken to V’landys or chief executive Todd Greenberg for more than a month.

“I don’t think they are a law unto themselves,” Australia’s deputy chief medical officer, Paul Kelly, said. “Some of the players and coaches may think so, but they’re part of society and they have a part – as we have all done – to support not only safety for themselves but for all of us.

“They’re making their plans for the road out [of the suspension of sport] and I encourage them to do so in other sports. But whether May is the time will remain to be seen and definitely they’ll need to get some permission to do that.”

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and ARLC chairman Peter V’landys on Sunday. (Getty)

V’landy’s has disputed the medical officer’s comments, stating he is certain the NRL received written permission to resume in May from the NSW State Emergency Operations Centre.

Read More: Australian sport in disarray as the NRL 2020 season is cancelled and Australia pulls out of the Tokyo Olympics

Read More: Opinion: How the coronavirus outbreak will change the future of global sport

The Greek Australian ARLC chairman reportedly called Hazzard on Friday to remind him that the state public health orders signed last week do not stop sporting events from taking place.

“In reality we could do it tomorrow if we wanted to, but we’re not going to because we’re going to let the infection rate continue its stabilisation,” V’landy’s told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“What we have juggled is to make sure we are no threat to the community’s health by spreading the virus. But I can’t see how we spread the virus if the players who are going there are all negative and playing each other in a sterile situation when we know they’re all negative.”

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys says the NRL already has government permission to restart the season in May.

The NRL told AAP while they hadn’t spoken to Hazzard directly, they had been in almost daily communication with the NSW government.

“The NRL has been in constant contact with Federal and State Governments throughout the COVID-19 pandemic including this week, and will continue to work closely with government in the weeks ahead,” an NRL spokesman said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

St Basil’s NSW & ACT welcomes senior Greek defence delegation

Senior Greek defence officials visiting Australia for the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete were welcomed to St Basil’s Randwick.

Seminar on ANZAC pilgrimage to Gallipoli to be held at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

Dr Effie Steriopoulos will give a seminar on the ANZAC pilgrimage to Gallipoli at Melbourne's Greek Centre.

Nationals split from Liberals, reject Coalition agreement after election

The National Party has announced it will not re-enter into a formal coalition with the Liberal Party. Find out more here.