Mayors and residents stage protest in Athens for revised migrant detention plan

·

Mayors and residents of Greek islands hardest hit by the country’s refugee crisis have protested in central Athens against government plans to build a network of detention camps.

The officials called off a meeting that had been planned Thursday with the government and staged the demonstration outside parliament, joined by several hundred island residents.

Lesbos, Samos, and three other islands in the eastern Aegean Sea are struggling to cope with severe overcrowding at camps for refugees and migrants following a surge in arrivals from nearby Turkey.

The government earlier this week announced an initiative to build detention facilities on the five islands, arguing that the move is vital to properly organise the registration of asylum seekers and deport migrants denied international protection.

But island authorities are planning legal challenges and blockades at the sites where the new camps are planned to try to block construction.

Stratis Kytelis, mayor of Lesbos capital Mytilene, said the protests had started after the government failed to fulfill a pledge to drastically reduce the number of migrants on the island over the winter months.

“We don’t believe their assurances that all existing structures will be shut down,” Kytelis told the Associated Press.

“People on the islands … opened their homes and gave what little they had to help (refugees) but unfortunately, because of bad policies the situation is now out of control,” he said. “Europe has put up walls against us, and trapped immigrants and refugees on our island.”

A surge in migrant arrivals last year has caused serious overcrowding at existing refugee camps on the islands, with some 20,000 at a facility on Lesbos built to house 3,000.

Migrants on the islands are forbidden to travel to the Greek mainland without special permission under a 2016 agreement between the European Union and Turkey, aimed at limiting the number of illegal crossings to Europe.

Sourced by: AP News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Brisbane man Jordan Koursaris trades apartment living for life aboard a boat

Jordan Koursaris has embraced life on the water after moving onto a 1966 boat moored at Kangaroo Point following his divorce.

New documentary reignites Parthenon Marbles controversy

A new documentary, The Marbles, claims to prove “beyond any shadow of a doubt” that the Parthenon Marbles were stolen.

Mary Konstantopoulos: The voice women’s sport in Australia desperately needs

"Whenever I get emails from young women or young people wanting me to share their stories or saying thank you for the work that I do, it reminds me of the impact," Mary Konstantopoulos said to The Greek Herald.