EuroLeague and EuroCup seasons terminated due to COVID-19 pandemic

·

Europe’s top two club basketball competitions have been terminated this season without naming any winners due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organisers EuroLeague Basketball said on Monday.

“Having explored every possible option, the Executive Board has made the decision to cancel the 2019-20 EuroLeague and EuroCup,” the organising body said on its official Twitter account.

The statement added that the 2020-21 EuroLeague and EuroCup seasons will start on October 1 and September 30 respectively, with the same 18 teams that contested this season’s EuroLeague also competing in the next campaign.

Panathinaikos BC OPAP were one of the teams against the complete suspension of the EuroLeague. Source: Sportime.

The two competitions were indefinitely postponed on March 12 and the statement said clubs, players and all stakeholders had been willing to resume action but were unable to do so due to concerns over the health and safety of athletes and staff.

“Without a doubt, this is the most difficult decision we have had to take in our 20-year history,” said EuroLeague’s president and chief executive, Jordi Bertomeu.

“Due to reasons beyond our control, we have been forced to cut short the most successful and exciting season in European basketball history.”

According to media reports, Panathinaikos BC OPAP was one of the teams against the complete suspension of the tournaments, citing a reduction in revenue.

“There are now doubts as to whether we will continue to co-operate with the events in the coming years,” former President of Panathinaikos OPAP, Dimitris Giannakopoulos, told the organising committee of EuroLeague.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Stefanos Tsitsipas sets up Medvedev showdown in Doha

Stefanos Tsitsipas advanced to the next round of the ATP Doha tournament with a composed 6-4, 6-4 win over Moez Echargui.

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

You May Also Like

Patricia Karvelas to host Q+A program after Stan Grant steps away

Patricia Karvelas is about to replace Stan Grant as a host of Q+A, while he is stepping away following a storm of racist abuse.  

Judicial term ends for Cyprus Judge who made landmark ruling in Thanasis Nicolaou case

Judge Doria Varoshiotou will not be made a permanent judge after completing her two-year probationary term.

Mystery surrounds identity of young girl found dead on Palaio Faliro beach

Authorities are investigating the tragic discovery of a young girl’s body found lifeless on a beach in Palaio Faliro, Athens, on Sunday.