The Lefkadian Brotherhood of Victoria is getting a youth group for first time in 30 years

·

Greek Australian, Jake Peters, is well known in Melbourne’s Greek community for shining a spotlight on safe underage clubbing through his Greek-inspired business, Kosmos Events.

Now, he can also add another achievement to his list. Jake is currently working with the Lefkadian Brotherhood of Victoria to rebuild its youth group after it has laid dormant since the 1990’s.

The Brotherhood itself was initially established in 1942 by a group of like-minded Lefkadians who wanted to assist poor or sick members of the Brotherhood, as well as preserve the Lefkadian heritage and the continuation of Greek culture.

READ MORE: The Greek Australian teen putting a spotlight on safe underage clubbing.

Jake Peters.

However, after about 30 years of inactivity, the Brotherhood is again actively seeking to engage all Lefkadians, and in particular the youth, to gather, meet and get to know each other.

“I am honoured to have been given the opportunity to work alongside the Committee and begin to build our youth group. My heart is in Lefkada, I love where my family is from. This brotherhood is so important to me,” Jake tells The Greek Herald about his new role.

“My family always tells me of the fun they had back in the day when they were attending all the youth events. It’s now my time to bring it back and build it back up to how it used to be! I can not wait to get this journey underway, and make not only my family proud, but make Lefkada proud!”

As Jake explains, many Lefkadians, now in their 40s, 50s and 60s, are now parents and grandparents who have very fond memories of the bonds and experiences made at the Brotherhood during their youth.

It’s this which the new committee seeks to revive and President of the Board of the Brotherhood, Alexandra Daglas, tells The Greek Herald she has no doubts Jake is up to the task.

“The Board is very excited that Jake has agreed to work with us and spearhead the Lefkadian youth revival,” Ms Daglas says.

“We have complete confidence that he will succeed in encouraging young Lefkadians back to our Lefkaditiko Spiti and to be proud of their Lefkadian roots. We can’t wait to see the hall full with the future generation.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

‘It will be massive’: Ange Postecoglou on Australia’s inaugural National Second Tier

Ange Postecoglou has welcomed the introduction of the National Second Tier competition, set to commence in 2025.

Hellenic Petroleum set to finance new solar plant in northern Greece

Greece’s biggest oil refiner, Hellenic Petroleum, said on Monday it will finance and operate a 204 megawatt solar energy plant in northern Greece to tap into the country’s shift from coal to renewables.

EU approves $48.2b for Greece’s economic recovery

The EU is estimated to fund 30.5 billion euros (AU$48.26 billion) towards the plan to create jobs and boost economic growth.