2 Greek-Australians identified among 21 lives lost in Australian bushfires

·

Twenty-one people have died across NSW since October as a result of the devastating bushfires that have burned through more than five million hectares and destroyed more than 2100 homes.

The Daily Telegraph remembered the 21 lives lost in the Australian bushfires so far. Among this group were 2 men of Greek heritage.

Doting father and grandfather Chris Savva who died on November 9 at South Arm.

Chris Savva, 64 – Southarm, November 9, 2019

Chris Savva’s family has paid tribute to the grandfather who successfully defended his north coast home from the Kian Rd fire, only to find the wooden bridge — his only way out — destroyed by the flames.

The long-term resident of South Arm near Bowraville was found dead in his upturned SUV after it ran down an embankment when he had turned around to try and make it back home. He lived 18km outside town.

“He would have had a long night (defending his home). He was incredibly brave to have done that,” one of his daughters Bianca Waters, 36, said.

Of Greek-Cypriot heritage, Mr Savva had three children, three stepchildren and nine grandchildren.

“He was a doting father and his grandchildren were the apple of his eye. He was a wonderful man,” Mrs Waters said.

“He was incredibly kind and had a great sense of humour. He really was a hero.”

George Nole moved to the isolated village of Wytaliba to “be himself”.

George Nole, 85 – Diehard, November 8, 2019

George Nole was found dead in a burnt-out car at the Kangawalla fire zone.

The Greek-born Australian was an electronics genius who had worked on NASA’s Apollo missions but moved to the isolated village of Wytaliba to “be himself”, friends said.

The Wytaliba Mr Nole joined in the 1980s was a laid-back place popular with nudists.

He was a stalwart of the community, often riding his cycle around the village, and voted for the Sex Party.

“The 86-year-old had a sticker on his car which read ‘Sexy Senior Citizen’,” local Brett Miller said.

Mr Nole was known to attend parties in Lederhosen and was a “reclusive nudist”.

“There was a bell at the front of his house that you would ring to tell him you were coming,” Mr Miller said. “That would give him enough time to put some undies or something on.

“If you didn’t ring that and just went to the door, he would just open it and you would get the full view.”

Friends said Mr Nole had been diagnosed with leukaemia in 2014 and had been prepared to die.

The other 19 civilians were identified as:

  1. Bob Lindsay, 77
  2. Gwen Hyde, 68
  3. Vivian Chaplain, 69
  4. Julie Fletcher, 63
  5. Barry Parsons, 58
  6. Geoffrey Keaton, 32
  7. Andrew O’Dwyer, 35
  8. Male, 59 – Yarrowitch
  9. Samuel McPaul, 28
  10. Robert Salway, 63
  11. Patrick Salway, 29
  12. Laurie Andrews, 70
  13. Man, 56 – Coolagolite
  14. Col Burns, 72
  15. Man, 75 – Yatte Yattah
  16. Man, 62 – Sussex Inlet
  17. David Harrison, 47
  18. John Smith, 71
  19. Man, 84 – Cobargo

Information via Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Yarraville agent Nicholas Skapoulas to face tribunal over underquoting allegations

Nicholas Skapoulas, director of Yarraville-based Nicholas Scott Real Estate, is facing allegations of underquoting in 11 property listings.

Giannis Ploutarhos to bring star power to the Let’s Go Greek Festival in Parramatta

Parramatta is set to come alive on Sunday, September 21, as the Let’s Go Greek Festival returns bigger than ever.

GCM students awarded for the Australian Hellenic Memorial Foundation competition

Students from the Greek Community of Melbourne were awarded for participating in the competition for Australian Hellenic Memorial Foundation.