Woman faces court for alleged killing of NYPD Officer Anastasios Tsakos

·

The woman charged with the hit-and-run death of an NYPD officer made a brief court appearance in Queens Tuesday after she was indicted by a grand jury earlier this month.

No bail has been set for Jessica Beauvais as she faces a 13-count indictment in the hit-and-run death of NYPD officer Anastasios Tsakos.

Tsakos, 43, was directing traffic on the Long Island Expressway after an earlier car accident when police said he was struck and killed by a 2013 Volkswagen driven by Beauvais.

READ MORE: US mourns death of Anastasios Tsakos, NYPD police officer killed by drunk driver

Police say Beauvais told investigators she was drinking before she got behind the wheel of her car last month. After police caught up with her, she blew a .15 on the breathalyser.

In court, Beauvais’ lawyer entered a not guilty plea. Her parents, siblings and 13-year-old son were inside.

The family of Officer Anastasios Tsakos cry as his casket is carried from the church. Photo: Reuters

On the other side of the room, sat the parents of Officer Tsakos.

Patrolmen Benevolent Association President Pat Lynch spoke on their behalf.

“Imagine going to work one day and never coming home,” Lynch said.

“Imagine the plans you had for your children later on that day and you never come back to do it. Well, that’s how they feel, but what scares them most is that they know it will never end, sir, they know the pain will never go away regardless of what happens in this courtroom.”

Officer Tsakos’ fellow motorcycle cops also showed their support. There was no comment from Beauvais’ attorney or family.

If convicted, she faces 15 years in a state prison.

Source: ABC7NY

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Samos residents left homeless after earthquake to be housed in containers

Residents of Samos, who were left homeless by last week's destructive 6.7 magnitude earthquake, will be temporarily housed in containers.

Sydney student Zac Argiratos praises school phone ban

Nearly a year after the statewide ban on mobile phones in schools, it has been overwhelmingly praised as a success by school leaders.

Third consecutive victory for Sydney Olympic FC

Sydney Olympic defeated Sydney FC 3-2 at Valentine Sports Park to pick up their third win in as many National Premier League NSW Men’s games.