Victoria hit with ‘circuit-breaker’ five-day lockdown

·

Premier Daniel Andrews has confirmed Victoria will begin a five-day stage four lockdown from midnight tonight. The lockdown is in response to the spread of the UK strain, linked to the Holiday Inn at Melbourne Airport, which the Premier says is spreading faster than contact tracers can keep up.

“We are having cases test positive – and we, in rapid time we get notified of that positive test result – by the time we find that case as positive, they’ve already infected their close contacts,” he said.

“That makes it incredibly difficult, incredibly difficult to do contact tracing, because there is no gap, if you like, between when we have the first case and their close contacts and potentially others that they have spent time with.

Mr Andrews said health authorities are now assuming there are further cases in the community that they do not know about.

“It is moving at a velocity that has not been seen anywhere in our country over the course of these last 12 months,” he said.

Victorians will have only four essential reasons to leave the home, which was also a fixture in last year’s.

They are: shopping for essential goods or services, work or study if you can’t from home, seeking or giving care and for exercise for two hours per day.

Below is a list of some other restrictions announced by the Premier:

  • You must stay within 5km of your home other than for permitted work
  • Masks are mandatory everywhere in Victoria
  • No visitors to anyone’s home
  • Public gatherings not permitted at all
  • Schools will close but will remain open for vulnerable children or children of essential workers
  • Religious gatherings and ceremonies are not permitted.
  • Funerals can involve no more than 10 people.
  • Hospitality will move to take away only

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Jim Grivas elected the new Mayor of Manningham

Councillor Jim Grivas has been elected the new Mayor of Manningham, at the Annual Meeting of Council on Thursday 6 November. 

Cyprus sees surge in tourist cancellations amid Middle East conflict

The Middle East conflict has caused heightened concerns in tourists and has led to an increase in cancellations for Cyprus.

Con Christopoulos to open first Greek restaurant in Melbourne

A new Greek restaurant will open in Melbourne, Victoria this week by restaurateur Con Christopoulos, The Age has reported.