Cretan Brotherhood youth in Melbourne elect first female President in over a decade

·

The Cretan Brotherhood Youth of Melbourne and Victoria held their Annual General Meeting on January 17 and for the first time in over 10 years, the Youth Committee elected a female President.

Rhea Gotsis will be leading the new 2021 Youth Committee after taking over from previous President, Vasilios Berbetakis. The new Vice President is Bill Theodorakis.

Rhea tells The Greek Herald that she feels very ’empowered’ to have taken up the executive position and hopes she can be a role model for others.

“I can now pose as a role model for the younger females of our club, which are as young as four years old,” Rhea says. “I want to show them that there is an opportunity out there that they didn’t realise existed, of being a leader within the club.”

Rhea herself has been part of the Brotherhood for ten years, taking part in Cretan dancing classes and culture, before she became involved in the Youth Committee as the PR Advisor, then Secretary and Vice President last year.

Now in her current position as President, Rhea says she has two main priorities for the Cretan Brotherhood youth this year.

“My first priority after a year apart in isolation, is that we want to make 2021 a year of reconnection. I truly believe that by prioritising the foundation of our club, the younger children, and reconnecting them through events, will pose a strong reflection on how our club works,” she explains.

“And this aligns with the second priority, which is branching out more into the Greek community. A common misconception is that you need to be Cretan to join the club. It’s nothing like that.

“We cater for all people, all ages, all nationalities and we want to branch further into the Greek community and educate them on our values and show them the friendships and bonds we’ve made as part of the club.”

A powerful initiative from a young Greek Australian with a bright future ahead of her.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Informative lecture held in Sydney to mark 80 years since deportation of Thessaloniki Jews

On Thursday, April 20 there was an informative lecture by Dr Leon Saltiel on the history of the Jews in the Greek city of Thessaloniki.

Residents of 18 suburbs told to evacuate as flood waters threaten homes

Residents in 18 suburbs across the state’s Mid North Coast and in Northern Sydney have been told to pack their bags and flee to nearby evacuation centres as heavy rain caused flood waters to inundate towns and homes.

Team Greece advance to quarter final in Melbourne’s All Nations Cup

Team Greece demonstrated its strength in Melbourne's All Nations Cup by defeating Eritrea despite being down 2 to 1 at half time.