Two jurors dropped in George Alex’s $13 million tax fraud trial

·

Two jurors have been dropped from a multimillion-dollar tax fraud trial involving Sydney construction boss George Alex and five others accused of pocketing more than $13 million in unpaid taxes.

According to The Australian, Juror G was dismissed after police searched his Sydney home mid-trial for a different alleged crime and officers discovered he had been conducting prohibited internet searches related to the fraud trial.

Following interviews of the remaining jurors by police, another juror – known as Juror A – was found to have been compromised after being in contact with Juror G.

NSW Supreme Court judge Desmond Fagan told the court on Thursday that while there was “no finding of misconduct of Juror A… the communications of those two were somewhat close and repeated.” As a result, the judge discharged him from his role on the jury.

George Alex (left) and his son Arthur Alex outside the NSW Supreme Court at Darlinghurst during their trial.CREDITWOLTER PEETERS
George Alex (left) and his son Arthur Alex outside the NSW Supreme Court at Darlinghurst during their trial. Photo: Wolter Peeters.

Judge Fagan stopped short of aborting the six month trial. He apologised for being “heavy-handed” about the matter, but said if further jurors are compromised the case would “run the risk of being aborted and run again later, at a cost I leave to your imaginations.”

The trial, which began in February, relates to Mr Alex, his son Arthur Alex, Mark Ronald Bryers, Gordon McAndrew, Lindsay John Kirschberg, and Pasquale Loccisano.

All pleaded not guilty to conspiring to cause a loss to the Australian Taxation Office, and dealing with the proceeds of crime totalling $1 million or more from 2018 to 2020 in Sydney and the Gold Coast.

Source: The Australian

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘I do feel Greek’: Novak Djokovic settles into life in Athens

Tennis champion Novak Djokovic has spoken openly about feeling Greek as he settles into life in Athens after relocating from Serbia.

Greece moves ahead with major offshore exploration south of Crete

Greece has signed concession agreements for four offshore hydrocarbon exploration blocks south of Crete and the Peloponnese.

Renowned Byzantine scholar Hélène Glykatzi-Ahrweiler dies aged 99

Renowned Byzantine historian Hélène Glykatzi-Ahrweiler has died at the age of 99, marking the passing of an influential Greek scholars.

St George Thebarton committee responds to controversy over Father Diogenis’ resignation

Following widespread concern over the resignation of Father Diogenis Patsouris, the St George Thebarton committee has issued a statement.

Emmy-winning TV producer Dana Eden found dead in Greece

Israeli television producer Dana Eden, co-creator of the Emmy-winning series Tehran, has died suddenly in Athens.

You May Also Like

Cretan community of Sydney commemorates the holocaust of Arkadi

The 154th anniversary of the Arkadi holocaust was commemorated on Saturday with a sit-down dinner organised by the local Cretan Association.

Traditional Greek Recipes: Melitzanes Papoutsakia

Melitzanes Papoutsakia (stuffed eggplants) is a traditional Greek dish, similar to Moussaka but not as well known.

Cypriot presidential race heats up after the election debate

The 7 candidates have presented their positions in the third presidential debate which was aired on 4 TV stations.