Two Afghan youths sentenced to five years jail for causing catastrophic Moria fire

·

Two Afghan youths were handed down five year prison sentences in court on Wednesday for starting a fire that burnt down the Moria refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesvos.

Nearly 13,000 migrants were displaced after Greece’s largest migrant camp went up in flames in the middle of the night on September 9, 2020.

The two Afghans were 17 years old at the time of their arrest, claiming that they had nothing to do with the fire and were not at the camp when it broke out. The Lesvos court handed down the sentences after a six-hour session, the local bar association told AFP.

Photos by @th_voulgarakis on Twitter.

The group said there had been a “lack of credible evidence” presented and that it would work to overturn the verdict on appeal.

“While we are disappointed with today’s result, things could have been much worse for the two young men,” the group said in a statement.

“The arson conviction alone could have carried a sentence of up to 10 years in prison.”

The trial of four youths detained in connection to the incident is pending.

Tensions among locals and migrants became heightened following the destruction of Moria. Police reportedly blocked migrants’ entry into the villages as they slept on highway streets.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Stay or sell: Cyprus Community of NSW members to vote on future of Stanmore club

Members of the Cyprus Community of NSW are set to vote on the future of the Cyprus Club at Stanmore during an Extraordinary General Meeting.

Archaeologists find shipwreck linked to 1821 Greek Revolution in Halkidiki

Archaeologists say that a shipwreck found near the Greek region of Halkidiki likely belongs to the 1821 Greek Revolution.

Graeco-Roman Museum in Alexandria finally reopened to public

After an 18-year renovation and restoration project, the Graeco-Roman Museum in Alexandria, Egypt has reopened its doors.