‘Totally unpleasant’: Greek on Halifax chef on mass staff transfer to hotel quarantine

·

Staff at one of South Australia’s biggest ‘super-spreader’ sites were recently moved to hotel quarantine for their final week of quarantine. 

Joseph Vaccaro is a chef at the Greek on Halifax and says he was a week into his isolation period at home when he was contacted by SA Health on Monday.

“We were more than happy to do everything required from our own home, which is exactly what we were doing,” Mr Vaccaro tells Adelaide Now

He was told he would be transferred to medi-hotel, the Pullman Hotel, despite testing negative for COVID-19. 

“It was awkward, but it wasn’t unpleasant. Now it is totally unpleasant.”

A cleaner deep cleans the Greek on Halifax (Left: ABC News/Michael Clements) (Right: Picture by Emma Brasier)

Mr. Vaccaro worked in the kitchen at the Greek on Halifax on the night of July 17 when a positive case of COVID-19 visited the restaurant. 

A staff member later tested positive. 

Mr. Vaccaro describes SA Health’s move as an “absolute over-reaction” and a “complete farce” and says conditions inside the hotel are poor. 

““I’ve been locked in this airtight room since Monday.”

He tells Adelaide Now that the kettle in his room was also replaced multiple times after it tripped the power.

He says the situation has also stressed his mother, who has Parkinsons and for whom he provides care.

About 100 people were moved to medi-hotels on the basis that they had been at high-risk “super spreader” sites. 

Source: Adelaide Now

Do you have a similar community story? Email us at: greek@foreignlanguage.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

George Kambosos Jr says ‘legacy on the line’ ahead of biggest fight in Australian history

On May 12, the Greek Australian fighter, George Kambosos Jr will go head-to-head against boxing icon Vasily Lomanchenko.

Greece implements sustainability strategy for tourism

Greece is preparing its next tourism campaign with a focus on sustainability, green entrepreneurship and blue economy.

Ongoing discussions with Macquarie Uni over proposal to discontinue Modern Greek

Macquarie Greek Studies Foundation's ongoing discussions with Sydney's Macquarie University over its proposal to discontinue Modern Greek.