Sydney’s Northern Beaches enters 4-day lockdown

·

The Northern Beaches is being locked down from 5pm today until midnight on Wednesday, as NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announces another 13 cases from testing on Friday.

Ms Berejiklian said there were 23 cases identified from testing in the 24 hours to 8pm on Friday, 10 of which had already been reported. Twenty-one of those cases were locally acquired and linked to the Avalon cluster, and two remain under investigation.

The Premier said it is likely that the state will see a repeat of those numbers across this 24 hours.

READ MORE: COVID-19 reaches Sydney’s southern suburbs as total cases hit 28

“Given what we know from the testing, given what we know from the likely number of cases, we are going to put in health orders for the Northern Beaches from five o’clock today to essentially go back to the restrictions people experienced in March,” she said.

That means only leaving your home if it is for essential purposes such as for work, for compassionate grounds, for exercise or to go shopping.

The queue for the pop-up COVID testing clinic at Avalon on Thursday. Picture: Tim Hunter/The Daily Telegraph

The Premier has also asked the rest of Sydney to avoid unnecessary activity, and flagged the possibility of further restrictions being put in place tomorrow for the Greater Sydney area.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard said “we’re all going through this together” and urged his fellow Northern Beaches residents to stick to the rules.

“We don’t want to be responsible for seeding this across Sydney or NSW, or indeed anywhere else.”

Sourced By: Sydney Morning Herald

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

St George Saints heartbroken following nail biting Semi Final loss

The St George Saints Youth League Mens team were out to avenge their Quarter Finals loss to the Newcastle Falcons two weeks prior.

Small but committed attendance at Pharos’ Greek language workshop in Victoria

A seminar aimed at helping parents raise bilingual children became the Pharos Alliance’s latest call to action for Modern Greek in Victoria.

Iconic Kensington restaurant Grotta Capri faces demolition for new housing

A once-iconic Sydney restaurant is set to disappear as the former Grotta Capri site in Kensington is approved for redevelopment.