Sydney court hears Joshua Gotsis allegedly transported $1 million of meth for drug syndicate

·

Sydney plumber Joshua Gotsis, 23, was granted bail in Supreme Court on February 9 over serious drug supply charges relating to his alleged involvement in supplying 1.2kg of cocaine as part of a Sutherland Shire dial-a-dealer operation from July to December last year.

During the hearing, the court heard new information from a police statement of facts which alleged Gotsis was “trusted” to transport 6 kilograms of meth, worth more than a $1 million, for the drug syndicate.

The court had previously heard syndicate organisers allegedly used a “central control phone” to send mass messages to 1900 contacts while buyers would place their orders before runners would deliver their cocaine and MDMA.

Police arrested alleged leader Mohammed El-Sammak, 28, along with Joshua David Hargreaves, 23, and a number of other alleged runners late last year.

nsw_supreme_court
Gotsis was before the courts.

Police alleged Gotsis was the main phone operator with Hargreaves helping out when he was busy.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Gotsis was charged with large commercial drug supply, ongoing drug supply, knowingly dealing with crime proceeds, knowingly directing a criminal group, and failing to comply with a digital evidence access order direction.

On Friday, Gotsis’ defence lawyer Elias Tabchouri told the court the new allegations suggested Gotsis was a “transporter” of the drugs and that he wasn’t involved in the negotiations. Mr Tabchouri further noted that his client was allegedly a “worker” who did not establish the syndicate.

Justice Sarah McNaughton said the allegations against Gotsis were serious, with some involving maximum penalties of life imprisonment and the case against him “appeared reasonably strong.”

She accepted that he was not the “head of the syndicate but appears to have a serious level of responsibility,” adding he was “under the control of the head of the syndicate and did the head of the syndicate’s bidding.”

Justice McNaughton agreed to grant Gotsis bail on the terms that he must live with his grandparents in Revesby, report to police daily, not leave the house without his parents and not take illegal drugs among other strict conditions.

Source: The Herald Sun.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Sydney book launch a poignant tribute to the late Mimis Dervos

The official launch of a book on the late Demetris ‘Mimis’ Dervos took place on Wednesday, December 18 at the AHEPA NSW hall.

Amanda Rishworth appointed NDIS Minister in pre-election cabinet reshuffle

In a significant cabinet reshuffle, Amanda Rishworth has been appointed the new Minister for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Remembering the Battle of Giannitsa

The Battle of Giannitsa is considered to be the most important battles of the First Balkan War and took place on October 19th in 1912.