Second Greek migrant camp in lockdown after COVID-19 case confirmed

·

Officials in Greece have placed a second migrant camp near Athens under lockdown after a 53-year-old Afghan resident tested positive for the coronavirus, the migration ministry said.

The Afghan man, who lives with his family at the Malakasa camp just north of Athens, was taken to a hospital in Athens after displaying virus symptoms and subsequently tested positive for the virus.

“The Malakasa camp has now been placed under full sanitary isolation for 14 days, with no one allowed to enter or leave,” the migration ministry said in a statement.

“A screening of the camp is in process and anyone with suspect symptoms will be tested as we try to trace the route of the virus.”

A migration ministry source said the Malakasa facility currently shelters more than 1,700 people. Source: Ayhan Mehmet/Anadolu Agency.

The lockdown comes as just last week, the Ritsona camp in central Greece was sealed off after 20 migrants tested positive for the coronavirus. It was the first such facility in the country to be hit since the outbreak of the disease.

The health ministry has ruled out a general screening campaign at the camps, noting that such a process would be costly and impractical.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Greek young guns set NRL alight with fiery performance against the Dragons

Greek-Australian’s Lachlan Ilias and Peter Mamouzelos made themselves known to the NRL community on Saturday.

The fearless yiayia: Skydiving and 80 years of life

While most grandmothers are content with tea, yiayia Vassiliki Xidias celebrated her birthday by jumping out of a plane.

Nominations open for NSW Women of the Year Awards 2024

Nominations for the NSW Women of the Year Awards 2024 opened Thursday, August 31. Read more.