SA Police believe Bill Frangos was murdered before his home was set ablaze

·

South Australian police believe a man found dead in a house fire in Woodville Gardens, Adelaide, was murdered, and the blaze was set to destroy evidence.

Acting Operations Inspector for Major Crime, Matthew Fitzpatrick, confirmed that emergency services responded to a fire on Thursday, November 7 at 4am after a passer-by reported the property engulfed in flames.

He said, “As a result of that investigation, we’re satisfied that [the victim] was murdered and that the house was set on fire to deliberately destroy the evidence related to that murder.”

The victim is believed to be 72-year-old Bill Frangos, a long-time resident who lived alone at the house. Formal identification is still pending due to the complexities of the fire investigation.

“Despite the fire, we have recovered evidence within the house,” Inspector Fitzpatrick added.

Photo: ABC News / Luke Pike.

Police suspect petrol was used to start the fire, after a jerry can was found ignited on the front lawn. “We know that a jerry can had been set alight on the front grass of that property,” said Fitzpatrick.

Sergeant Fitzpatrick also mentioned that cannabis-related items had been removed from properties associated with Frangos. “There is some information that cannabis was involved in respect to this incident,” he said.

While police are keeping an open mind about the motive, they suggest that the person or persons responsible may have been known to Frangos. “We have identified a number of persons of interest, those persons of interest have been spoken to yesterday, they assisted police with our inquiries and at this time we have discounted their involvement,” Inspector Fitzpatrick stated.

Police are now seeking public assistance and urge anyone who had contact with Frangos in the last six weeks to come forward. “We’re seeking anyone that had contact with Bill in the last six weeks to contact investigators through Crime Stoppers,” he added.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Laver Cup 2019: Tsitsipas and Nadal beaten by Kyrgios and Sock

Nick Kyrgios and Jack Sock have kept Team World within reach after beating Rafa Nadal and Stefanos Tsitsipas in doubles match. A pumped-up Kyrgios...

NSW Governor issues message ahead of Cyprus Food and Wine festival

The Governor of NSW, Margaret Beazley AC KC, has issued a message to the Cyprus community ahead of the Cyprus Food and Wine Festival.

GCM calls for Greek Cup final to be held in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne sent a letter to the President of the Hellenic Football Federation requesting the Greek Cup final be moved.