SA Best MLC Connie Bonaros urges for sexual harassment review recommendations to be implemented

·

SA Best MLC Connie Bonaros’ sexual harassment complaint sparked a a review into State Parliament’s workplace culture. Now, the MP has urged every other Member of Parliament to also support all recommendations made by the former acting Equal Opportunity Commissioner in her report handed down last week.

In June, former Liberal MP, now independent, Sam Duluk will face trial after being charged with assault for allegedly slapping Ms Bonaros on the behind at a Christmas function at Parliament House in 2019.

The alleged assault initiated a long-overdue inquiry into sexual harassment in state parliament. The 166-page report was handed down on Tuesday by acting Equal Opportunity Commissioner Emily Strickland with 16 recommendations for change.

Up until now, Ms Bonaros has been careful not to publicly comment on the Commissioner’s inquiry.

Independent MP Sam Duluk (pictured right) arrives at the Magistrates Court in December last year with lawyer Domenic Agresta. Photo: Dean Martin/News Corp

“There is no turning back from here – there has to be action now,” she says in her first in-depth interview since the report was released.

“This cannot be swept under the carpet – not in today’s environment and not while I’m around,” she says in the lead-up to International Women’s Day on Monday.

“We now have a clear and defined road map to get us out of this quagmire. There is no excuse for not implementing all 16 of the Commission’s recommendations.”

Bonaros expressed her anger and sadness over the stories and accounts presented by the commissioner.

SA Best MLC Connie Bonaros on the steps of Parliament House, North Tce, Adelaide.. Picture Mark Brake/News Corp

“It beggars belief that we’ve managed to sweep this under the carpet for as long as we hav,” she said.

“If we can’t get it right, how on earth can we expect any other workplace to get it right?”

She added a centralised human resources department was long overdue.

“The fact that any workplace doesn’t have an HR unit in place in line with what the commissioner has outlined is simply outdated,” she said.

“We are operating in an archaic, outdated system based on conventions of a bygone era.”

Sourced By: ABC News/Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

You May Also Like

Greek court issues sentences over deadly 2018 Mati wildfire

A Greek appeals court has handed down prison sentences to 10 people found guilty over the 2018 Mati wildfire, which killed 102 people.

Dr Trakakis to give lecture in Melbourne on the late poet Tasos Leivaditis

Dr Nick Trakakis will give a seminar on Thursday, May 30 at the Greek Centre in Melbourne on the late poet Tasos Leivaditis.

Greek Australians recognised at Football NSW’s 2024 Annual Gala Dinner

Football NSW hosted its night of nights as the 2024 Annual Gala Dinner paid homage to players, coaches and officials.