Teachers union boss accuses NSW government of ‘betrayal’ over pay dispute

·

The NSW Teachers Federation (NSWTF) has accused the state government of an “act of betrayal” after a breakdown in pay negotiations after a one-year agreement was withdrawn on Wednesday.

NSWTF president Angelo Gavrielatos said negotiations with the Minns government began in April, with an agreement reached on May 31 at a meeting with the NSW Education Minister Prue Car and Treasurer Daniel Mookhey.

The agreement included a commitment to increase the starting salary for a teacher by nearly $10,000, and raise the maximum teaching salary by about $9,000, Mr Gavrielatos said.

Mr Gavrielatos said the deal was reaffirmed in June, but on Friday last week the government said it had decided not to proceed.

Public school teachers in NSW have been calling for fair pay.

“This is unheard of. This is unprecedented. In my decades of experience, never before has a government walked away from a deal in the way that we are experiencing now. This is an act of betrayal,” Mr Gavrielatos said.

In response, Ms Car said negotiations were ongoing.

“We have reached many agreements with the Teachers Federation… but there are some things we haven’t yet reached agreement on,” she said.

“I’m pretty disappointed about where we have landed today, but I urge the federation to continue negotiating with the government.”

Fair pay for teachers was one of Labor’s key election promises in the lead-up to the 2023 state election.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

You May Also Like

Dendias: ‘Greece expects to be included in the next stages of the Berlin Process on Libya’

"Greece expects to be included in the next stages of the Berlin Process on Libya", Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias said on Monday after the...

Greek adviser elected tariff director at World Customs Organisation

This is the first time a Greek has been elected to high ranking position in the World Customs Organisation (WCO).

Exciting program unveiled for the 2nd Zeibekiko Festival Australia

The second Zeibekiko Festival Australia will return with a bang from September 27 this year thanks to Ventouris Productions.