NSW building chief’s resignation letter reveals concerns about Eleni Petinos and John Barilaro

·

The former New South Wales Building Commissioner, David Chandler, raised concerns in his resignation letter about the relationship between sacked fair trading minister, Eleni Petinos, and a major property developer that hired John Barilaro after he quit parliament.

The resignation letter sent by Chandler last month was released through parliament on Thursday.

According to The Guardian, the letter reveals Chandler raised concerns about what he described as “the advised relationship” between Ms Petinos and developer Coronation Property.

In the letter, Chandler says his concerns “crystallised” after he issued a stop-work order on a 790-apartment development in Merrylands owned by Coronation earlier this year.

An artist’s impression of the Coronation Property high-rise development at Merrylands.

The letter confirms Chandler was contacted by both Petinos’ office and Barilaro, who had by that stage left politics, shortly after the order was issued.

The building commissioner said he subsequently met with Mr Barilaro to answer his questions.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that Mr Barilaro also met with Ms Petinos in the weeks before the stop-work order was lifted on July 4, 2022.

Eleni Petinos was sacked last month.

Giving evidence at a parliamentary inquiry on Monday, Mr Barilaro said he was no longer employed by Coronation at the time of the meeting which was to celebrate his appointment as NSW trade commissioner in New York.

Petinos, who was sacked last month after accusations of bullying, maintains she had no involvement with the lifting of the stop-work order, and it was a decision made by the Office of the Building Commissioner.

“The issuing and revocation of stop-work orders is a matter for the Building Commissioner, not the minister,” she said in a statement on Wednesday.

Source: The Guardian and ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Greece reportedly not ready for the ‘brain gain’, study shows

Greece ranks among the worst-performing countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in the employment of higher education graduates aged 25-64 (74%).

Erling Haaland calls out Greek newspaper for reporting he spent €500k on Mykonos lunch

Reporting that the footballer spent €500,000 in six hours at a Mykonos restaurant, Haaland called out the newspaper for publishing 'fake news'.

11 Australians of Greek heritage named on Rich List

The Australian Financial Review has released its Rich List for 2024 and among the names are at least 11 Australians of Greek heritage.