NSW continues to lead the way in creating a brighter future for women in sport and never has this been more evident than through the incredible array of winners celebrated at the Her Sport Her Way Awards this week.
From champion administrators who are paving the way for future generations through to a trailblazing Paralympian and a 13-year-old who has created her own platform to showcase female athletes, this year’s winners are a diverse and exciting group.
The awards recognise the people, clubs and organisations that are giving women and girls more opportunities to participate in sport and aim to highlight the important work they are doing in this space.
Cricket NSW’s Female, Diversity & Inclusion Manager, Julie Stafford, and Basketball NSW’s CEO, Maria Nordstrom, shared the honours as the Her Sport Her Way Champion – the ceremony’s pinnacle award.
The Awards also recognised the contributions of young people and former athletes who are working to create lasting change.
13-year-old Abbie, a sports journalist who created her own online platform to champion women’s sport, was this year’s youngest winner. Australia’s most decorated female Paralympian Ellie Cole OAM was among the Trailblazers honoured for her work outside of the pool in leadership roles.
CEO of Football NSW, John Tsatsimas, also won ‘Outstanding Organisation.’
NSW Minister for Sport, Steve Kamper, said it was “an honour to recognise the work being done to make sure no girl or women faces barriers to participation [in sport].”
“I congratulate all the winners and nominees and look forward to seeing the amazing things that they continue to achieve and the positive legacy they leave,” Mr Kamper said.
The full list of winners are:
- Local Champion- Anu Beid, Owner and Operator, Swimz Guildford.
- Local Champion- Pam Abel, Senior Activities Officer,PCYC.
- Outstanding Organisation- John Tsatsimas, CEO, Football NSW.
- Trailblazers- Ellie Cole OAM. Paralympic Champion, Swimming NSW
- Trailblazers- Suzy Ellis, Tennis Administrator and Coach, Suzy Ellis School of Tennis
- Trailblazers- Hayley Todd, Head of Women’s and Schools Football, Football NSW
- Young Achiever- Abbie, Sports Journalist, Her Way
- Champion- Julie Stafford, Female, Diversity and Inclusion Manager, Cricket NSW
- Champion- Maria Nordstrom, CEO, Basketball NSW
For more information on the Her Sport Her Way program and to see past winners, please visit: sport.nsw.gov.au/hersportherway