Pirates release 8 kidnapped crew members from a Greek-flagged tanker

·

Eight crew members of a Greek-flagged tanker ship have been freed more than 20 days after being kidnapped by gunmen off the coast of Cameroon in West Africa, Greece’s merchant marine ministry said Wednesday.

The crew had been kidnapped by pirates on Dec. 31 from the Happy Lady tanker, which had been lying at anchor two nautical miles (2.3 miles, 3.7 kilometers) outside the port of Limboh.

The ministry said the eight, including five Greeks ranging in age from 21 to 45, had been freed in the early hours of Wednesday after “the successful end of negotiations.”

The five Greeks, including the ship’s captain, were in good health and in a safe location, and would be returning home after undergoing medical checks, the ministry said.

There has been a spike in the number of incidents of piracy in the Gulf of Guinea, with a recent report by the International Maritime Bureau noting a 50% increase in piracy in the area last year. The region accounted for more than 90% of global crew member kidnappings in 2019. The Greek merchant fleet is one of the largest in the world and several incidents have involved Greek owned or flagged ships.

Sourced by: AP News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Michelin star chef Alex Xinis opens new Greek eatery in Melbourne

Alex Xinis, along with James Klapanis, is set to open a new Greek eatery called Orlo on Oxford Street in Collingwood, Melbourne this March.  

Greek Australian Writers’ Festival marks record-breaking success in its fifth year

The Greek Australian Writers’ Festival, presented as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney, has concluded its most successful edition to date.

Stefanos Tsitsipas reaches French Open third round

Stefanos Tsitsipas reached the third round of the French Open for a sixth time on Wednesday, after defeating a resilient Daniel Altmaier.