NT builder George Milatos faces $2.7 million compensation bill after losing court appeal

·

Northern Territory builder George Milatos has lost his appeal in the NT Supreme Court, leaving him liable for more than $2.7 million in compensation to homeowners of defective Bellamack properties.

According to ABC News, the NT Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT) previously found that homes built by Milatos were structurally unsafe during cyclones and posed significant safety risks.

His appeal, which challenged the validity of NTCAT’s ruling and its authority to impose such a large compensation order, was dismissed on Thursday, December 5 by Justice Jenny Blokland.

The case involves five homeowners who purchased properties in 2013 under an NT government-backed affordable housing scheme in Bellamack, a suburb of Palmerston. Soon after moving in, they reported severe defects, with engineering reports confirming the homes were unsafe.

george milatos
The housing assessment found that the defective homes may not withstand cyclonic conditions. Photo: ABC News.

One homeowner told the ABC he doubted any compensation would ever be received, noting Milatos’ claims of financial hardship and the possibility of bankruptcy.

The NT government has distanced itself from the issue, citing a 2013 regulatory change that switched from an insurance-based scheme to a fidelity fund, leaving homeowners unable to seek recourse from the government for demolishing or rectifying the homes.

Milatos, whose building licence expired in 2021, still has the option to challenge the decision in the NT Court of Appeal.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Con Dedes to reboot Sydney harbourside site with new Italian restaurant

Flying Fish owner, Con Dedes and chef, Danny Russo's new Italian seafood restaurant that will open in October at Sydney's Pyrmont wharf.

The dangers for the Hellenism of diaspora

The Hellenism of diaspora is faced with certain social and historical dangers, situations and realities which cause serious problems.

Mitsotakis says Greece will recognise Palestinian state when conditions align

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said Greece will recognise a Palestinian state “when, how and the timing that we will choose as the right one."