NT builder George Milatos faces $2.7 million compensation bill after losing court appeal

·

Northern Territory builder George Milatos has lost his appeal in the NT Supreme Court, leaving him liable for more than $2.7 million in compensation to homeowners of defective Bellamack properties.

According to ABC News, the NT Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT) previously found that homes built by Milatos were structurally unsafe during cyclones and posed significant safety risks.

His appeal, which challenged the validity of NTCAT’s ruling and its authority to impose such a large compensation order, was dismissed on Thursday, December 5 by Justice Jenny Blokland.

The case involves five homeowners who purchased properties in 2013 under an NT government-backed affordable housing scheme in Bellamack, a suburb of Palmerston. Soon after moving in, they reported severe defects, with engineering reports confirming the homes were unsafe.

george milatos
The housing assessment found that the defective homes may not withstand cyclonic conditions. Photo: ABC News.

One homeowner told the ABC he doubted any compensation would ever be received, noting Milatos’ claims of financial hardship and the possibility of bankruptcy.

The NT government has distanced itself from the issue, citing a 2013 regulatory change that switched from an insurance-based scheme to a fidelity fund, leaving homeowners unable to seek recourse from the government for demolishing or rectifying the homes.

Milatos, whose building licence expired in 2021, still has the option to challenge the decision in the NT Court of Appeal.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Kimberly Guilfoyle presents credentials as new US Ambassador to Greece

The new US Ambassador to Greece, Kimberly Guilfoyle, officially presented her credentials to President Konstantinos Tasoulas on Tuesday.

Family fun and football as Sydney Olympic FC set for first Australian Championship home game

Sydney Olympic FC are set to host their first home game of the Australian Championship season this Sunday, October 19.

Greece’s Foreign Minister visits earthquake-stricken areas of Turkey

Greece's Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias, visited earthquake-hit areas of Turkey on Sunday, beside his Turkish counterpart, Mevlut Cavusoglu.