Greek American gets Greek passport to become an Evzone like his grandfather

·

A 28-year-old Greek American obtained a Greek passport just to serve the country of his ancestors as an Evzone, a member of the famous Presidential Guard.

Andreas Holevas, born and raised in Pennsylvania, said that he wanted to become an Evzone and be just as “prosperous as my grandfather.”

“Last year I did all the procedures to become officially a Greek citizen, I got a Greek passport and in January 2020 I enrolled to the Greek army,” Andreas told a Greek media outlet.

“After I took the oath at Soufli (a town near the border with Turkey at Evros), I managed to make my dream come true and join the Presidential Guard,” he added.

The offspring of Greek immigrants to the United States in the 1960s, Andreas was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1992.

His grandfather, Georgios Holevas, served in the Presidential Guard in the late 1930s and in a post on Facebook, Andreas said it was an honour to follow in his footsteps.

To the right is a picture of my grandfather as a Kings Guard! Unfortunately, my family never had the chance to meet him!…

Posted by Andreas Holevas on Saturday, 18 July 2020

“My journey has been full of ups and downs, but I’ll never regret my decision. Along the way I’ve bonded and created a family that can never be broken,” Andreas wrote.

“The life of a evzone can never be understood by anyone, only by the very few who have the honour of serving as a evzone. Once an evzone, always an evzone.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Art Connect South Gippsland: Celebrating art and community

Art Connect South Gippsland is an arts advocacy group, serving as a platform to celebrate, encourage, and champion art in regional Victoria.

Australia’s Greek organisations denounce conversion of Hagia Sophia into mosque

Multiple Greek associations across Australia have made public statements strongly condemning Turkey's recent decision to convert Hagia Sophia into a mosque.

Concerns raised over imminent closure of another St Basil’s aged care home in NSW

The recent announcement by the Board of St Basil’s NSW/ACT Aged Care to close their aged care facility at Kensington has caused concern.