NSW teachers walk off the job in historic strike action

·

Tens of thousands of NSW public and Catholic school teachers have walked off the job today in their first joint strike in decades.

The group marched down Macquarie Street in Sydney’s CBD this morning demanding reduced workloads and a pay rise above the 3 per cent offered by NSW Premier, Dominic Perrottet, earlier this month.

The NSW Teachers Federation wants a pay rise of between 5 and 7 per cent.

Teachers at the rally, chanting “Scrap the cap,” spoke about burnout and crippling staff shortages.

NSW Teachers Federation President, Angelo Gavrielatos, also addressed the rally and said: “Too much is at stake for us not to continue, for our profession, for our students and for their future.”

“We are here because we cannot accept the crippling teacher shortages that are costing our students opportunities to learn. Costing them their future,” Mr Gavrielatos said.

“The Premier thinks the answer is performance pay… Well let me tell you, Mr Perrottet, teachers are performing over and above the call of duty. They are just not getting paid.

Angelo Gavrielatos (fourth from right) at today’s teachers strike.

“We will keep campaigning until election day next March if we have to.”

This rally is the first time in more than 25 years public and Catholic teachers have joined forces. The joint action will see hundreds of schools across NSW closed or offering only minimal supervision today.

READ MORE: ‘Won’t stop until we win’: NSW teachers vow to fight on after second strike in six months.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘The Life of Byron’ opens at The Greek Centre this weekend

What happens when a middle-aged Greek Australian man is forced to confront family, memory, ageing parents and himself? 

Dendias demands apology from Ukraine over naval drone incident

Nikos Dendias has said Ukraine owes Greece a “big apology” after a Ukrainian naval drone was discovered off the coast of Lefkada.

Unidentified odour blankets southern Athens as authorities search for source

Residents across southern parts of Athens were left alarmed after a strong unexplained smell swept through several coastal suburbs.

Greece denies role in Israeli interception of Gaza-bound flotilla

Greece has denied any involvement in the Israeli military’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza.

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

You May Also Like

Sydney honours Michael Tsilimos with moving tribute to life of service and quiet generosity

The Greek Australian community gathered at the Greek Community Club on Sunday, to honour the life and legacy of the late Michael Tsilimos.

Greek community unites for heart health at AHEPA Australia’s fundraiser

AHEPA Australia hosted its Saving Hearts Fundraiser on Sunday, October 12, at The Grand Roxy in Brighton-Le-Sands, Sydney, raising over $2k.

‘Australians most welcome investors in Greece,’ says ATHEX Group CEO, Socrates Lazaridis

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Athens Exchange Group (ATHEX Group), Socrates Lazaridis, addressed Greek Australians online on Tuesday.