Greece denies role in Israeli interception of Gaza-bound flotilla

·

Greece has denied any involvement in the Israeli military’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza, stressing that no Israeli vessels linked to the operation docked at a Greek port.

The flotilla, which departed from Spain, was intercepted by Israeli military ships on April 30 in international waters northwest of Crete. More than 170 activists were removed from the vessels and later transferred to Greek authorities.

Speaking during a regular briefing, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lana Zochiou said Greece’s contact with Israel related only to the disembarkation of the 176 passengers following the interception.

“Greece acted on the basis of the rules of the Law of the Sea,” Zochiou said, adding there had been “no prior coordination with Israel regarding the operations.”

Boats carrying activists as part of the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Barcelona, Spain, Sunday, April 12, 2026. Photo: Joan Mateu Parra / AP.

She said Greece had undertaken “the humanitarian task” of receiving those aboard in order to prevent escalation and ensure their safe return home.

According to Zochiou, the Israeli vessel involved did not enter a Greek port, with passengers instead brought ashore by the Hellenic Coast Guard.

“For humanitarian reasons, Greece offered to allow the 176 citizens to disembark on its territory and ensured their return to their countries,” she said.

Zochiou also noted that no official arrangements had yet been made regarding a possible future visit to Greece by US President Donald Trump, despite positive signals about such a trip.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Dendias demands apology from Ukraine over naval drone incident

Nikos Dendias has said Ukraine owes Greece a “big apology” after a Ukrainian naval drone was discovered off the coast of Lefkada.

Unidentified odour blankets southern Athens as authorities search for source

Residents across southern parts of Athens were left alarmed after a strong unexplained smell swept through several coastal suburbs.

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

You May Also Like

New low cost “field ventilator” for remote regions developed by Greek Australian professor Andreas Fouras

Greek Australian professor Andreas Fouras, with a team of Australian scientists, have created a groundbreaking “field ventilator” for coronavirus relief.

Nick Reece’s Greek wife and kids: Driving forces behind his bid to remain Melbourne mayor

Nick Reece's Greek wife and kids are the driving forces behind his bid to remain Melbourne Lord Mayor. Read more here.

6-year-old dies of injuries in Greek migrant camp fire

A 6-year-old boy from Iran died of burns suffered during an overnight fire at a migrant camp northwest of Athens, Greece.