NSW Government announces $645 million assistance package for taxi industry

·

Taxi licence holders across New South Wales will receive an additional $500 million in assistance payments as part of a comprehensive $645 million package to fully deregulate the industry and benefit customers long term.

NSW Treasurer Matt Kean said $145 million had already been paid out and additional payments would be made early next year, once legislation to remove taxi licence supply restrictions is passed in Parliament.

“This will create a level playing field across the sector, freeing the taxi industry to better compete, while driving improved and more innovative services for customers,” Mr Kean said.

“To help existing taxi licence holders adapt to these changes, the package will provide $100,000 for each eligible Sydney metro taxi licence up to six licences per owner. It will provide up to $130,000 for each taxi licence outside of Sydney with no cap on the number of licences per owner.”

NSW Treasurer Matt Kean.

Minister for Transport, Veterans and Western Sydney David Elliott said he was proud to deliver a win for the taxi industry.

“I told the taxi industry that the NSW Government has their back and today is proof of that,” Mr Elliott said.

“Members of the taxi industry have suffered greatly over the past several years, financially and emotionally. I am pleased to see today that we have acted to support them by offering financial assistance which surpasses the package proposed to the industry in September last year.”

NSW Transport Minister David Elliott.

Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Sam Farraway said the taxi industry is vitally important in regional areas, where ride share services simply aren’t available like they are in the city.

“This financial assistance package will help the regional taxi industry move forward and build on its vital role in providing transport services across regional NSW,” Mr Farraway said.

“All eligible taxi licence holders should ensure their contact details are up to date with the Point to Point Transport Commissioner.”

The NSW Government has consulted closely with peak industry bodies like the NSW Taxi Council and A2B Services to develop the package.

(L-R) Craig Richards (VP TOSBA), Geoff Ferris (Chairman NSW Taxi Council), Martin Rogers (CEO NSW Taxi Council), Nick Abrahim (Deputy CEO NSW Taxi Council) at the NSW Premier’s office. Photo supplied.

Under the package, the $1 Passenger Service Levy (PSL) will be extended from 2026-27 to 2028-29. The amount of the PSL will not be changed.

This package will form part of the NSW Government’s total deregulation of the point-to-point industry. A Bill is expected to be introduced to Parliament by the end of the year and funds will be distributed next year.

More information about the scheme and who is eligible will be available here.

READ MORE: ‘Enough is enough’: NSW government under pressure to compensate taxi licence owners.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Milton Orkopoulos to face court on 15 new child sex abuse offences

Former NSW Labor minister, Milton Orkopoulos, will face court today after being charged with 15 new child sex abuse offences in the 1990s.

The 29th Greek Film Festival of Sydney announces its full program for 2024

The 29th Greek Film Festival of Sydney has announced its complete line up of quality Greek films for 2024.

Peter V’landys weighs up future as racing and rugby demands clash

Peter V’landys is considering stepping down from one of his two major sporting roles to focus on rugby league.