Childcare operator John Tanios denies wrongdoing after centre shut over safety breaches

·

Sydney businessman John Tanios is vowing to fight the NSW Department of Education after his Wagga Wagga childcare centre, Angels Paradise, was permanently shut down in May for posing what regulators called “an unacceptable risk to children.”

According to 9Now, the service, which opened in 2016, was suspended last year after a child fell and broke his collarbone.

The department later upheld 23 findings against the centre, including allegations of “infants placed in high chairs as a form of behaviour management,” children “eating food scraps off the floor,” and staff hired without working with children checks.

In an interview with 60 Minutes, Tanios admitted some breaches, including children eating from the floor and staff working without proper clearance, but insisted they were isolated incidents.

“It should never have happened, but it happened,” he said. “It happened one time. It may have happened two times, three times, I don’t know, but it’s not something that’s common practice.”

Tanios also told the Sydney Morning Herald the controversy was driven by regulators unfairly targeting him.

“The allegations made were wrong, things were taken out of context and it was purely a witch-hunt,” he said.

“All I can do is deny it. They’ve built a narrative purely for the ultimate destruction of my service. It is not true.”

Despite the shutdown, Tanios has re-registered his business under a new name and plans to challenge the decision in court later this year. He maintains that “the children were never at risk” and says he deserves another chance to operate.

The Department of Education has ruled Tanios ineligible to run any education or care service going forward.

Source: 9Now

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Greek rapper Negros Tou Moria earns spot on best albums list

The Guardian has named Negros Tou Moria’s album Mavri Ellada (Black Greece) among its 10 best global albums of 2025.

Greek Australians elected as Labor secures landslide victory in South Australia

Australian candidates with Hellenic heritage have emerged as key figures in South Australia’s election, with three securing seats.

Adelaide Olympic through to FFA Cup Round of 16 for their second time ever

The club secured their place among the top 16 clubs after winning 3-0 over ECU Joondalup at Dorrien Gardens on Wednesday.