‘Nothing has survived’: Dimitria and George Volikas start clean-up after NSW floods

·

George Volikas, 85, and his wife Dimitria, 80, returned to their Oakville home in northwest Sydney over the weekend to find that they had lost everything.

The couple had lived with their daughter Irene Connelley and her husband Frank for 35 years, occupying the bottom floor of their house near the Hawkesbury River.

Mrs Connelley was helping her parents clean up their home on Sunday when she was interviewed by The Australian. She said they weren’t prepared for last week’s flood crisis, which saw waters peaking in the area at a record 13.74 metres on March 9.

Dimitria and George Volikas outside their home last year reading The Greek Herald.

“This is their livelihood – it’s ­literally everything – nothing of theirs has survived – no heirloom, nothing,” Mrs Connelley said in the interview.

“[My dad] is devastated – he can’t believe this has happened to him after everything we’ve been through.”

The Volikas’ are currently staying at Westmead for one week in temporary accommodation, but after that they aren’t sure where they will live.

Wilberforce butcher Dean Diasinos in his store, which was completely flooded after being renovated last year post-floods. Picture: Sam Ruttyn.

Elsewhere, Wilberforce butcher, Dean Diasinos, also told The Daily Telegraph how his shop was completely flooded last week after being renovated post-floods last year.

He said he was still cut off from his wife and children on the other side of the Hawkesbury River.

This devastation comes as NSW Premier, Dominic Perrottet, promised a review into the State Emergency Service’s response to the flood disaster on the NSW north coast on Sunday.

READ MORE: ‘I’ve read it for 56 years’: Greek migrants share what The Greek Herald means to them.

Source: The Australian.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

SEKA NSW unveils program of events marking 50 years since Turkish invasion of Cyprus

SEKA NSW has announced its program of events to mark the 50th anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus this year.

Walk Down Memory Lane: Sydney Greek Picnics

The Sydney Greek picnics contain memories to be cherished for the rest of peoples lives and it's a shame children don't get to experience the same feeling.

Greece crushes France to secure quarterfinal spot at World Aquatics

Greece has stormed into the quarterfinals of the World Aquatics Championships after a dominant 23–9 win over France, despite a shaky start.