Ministers Eleni Petinos and Mark Coure urge seniors to be vigilant against scams

·

Senior Australians are being urged to stay vigilant against scams, as the total cost swindled from older consumers skyrockets to over $11 million last year.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) received 16,915 reports from seniors that had been scammed in 2021.

Minister for Fair Trading Eleni Petinos said $6.7 million had been lost through false billing scams, where scammers request payment through fake invoices for goods or services which were never ordered.

“In one case, a consumer lost $760,000 when their mortgage broker’s email had been compromised,” Ms Petinos said.

Online shopping scams cost Australian seniors $1.8 million last year. A common example of this is the purchase of a motor home online via fake websites.

Ms Petinos said any scammers targeting older Australians will be met with the full force of the law.

“Targeting vulnerable Australians is abhorrent behaviour. Fair Trading has a zero- tolerance approach to any fraudsters ripping off hard-working people,” Ms Petinos said.

Photo: Getty

“Be wary of any requests for money. Another red flag is being asked to transfer money via an unusual payment method such as preloaded debit cards, gift cards or virtual currency.”

Minister for Seniors, Mark Coure said it is disgusting to see criminals deliberately target society’s older people.

“Seniors deserve better than to be preyed on by low-life criminals and defrauded of their life savings,” Mr Coure said.

“Older people have worked their whole lives to make NSW the great state it is today. Anyone taking advantage of seniors should have the book thrown at them.”

NSW Fair Trading has a guide with up-to-date information for seniors about their consumer rights and how to deal with unscrupulous operators.

To read the guide, visit: www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/help-centre/youth-and-seniors/seniors.

The Aging and Disability Commission also has a range of resources available to help people better understand abuse, neglect and exploitation of older people and adults with disability.

For more information, visit: www.ageingdisabilitycommission.nsw.gov.au.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Mayor Jim Grivas responds to St Haralambos Greek Festival parking fine backlash

Mayor of Manningham, Jim Grivas, has acknowledged community anger over parking fines issued during the recent St Haralambos Greek Festival.

Alex Hawke dumped from Liberal Party frontbench in Angus Taylor reshuffle

Alex Hawke has been relegated to the backbench after new Opposition Leader Angus Taylor unveiled a revamped shadow cabinet.

Paul Nicolaou calls scaled-back Cutaway trading hours ‘disappointing’

Business Sydney's Paul Nicolaou criticised the NSW government’s decision to wind back plans for 24-hour trading at The Cutaway venue.

Athens University opens Cyprus branch in higher education milestone

The establishment of a Cyprus branch of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens marks “a milestone.”

Stefanos Tsitsipas sets up Medvedev showdown in Doha

Stefanos Tsitsipas advanced to the next round of the ATP Doha tournament with a composed 6-4, 6-4 win over Moez Echargui.

You May Also Like

Cyprus and the US launch strategic dialogue in historic moment

Cyprus and the United States declared on Monday that they will begin strategic dialogue to strengthen bilateral cooperation.

Coalition and Labor commit to support multicultural media outlets

The Labor Government has committed to invest a total $29 million in regional, local and community media outlets if elected.

Accused sex predator surgeon Richard Sackelariou to face victims in court

Former Double Bay plastic surgeon and now accused sex predator, Dr Richard Paris Sackelariou, will face his young victims in court.