Kyrgios ‘remains scheduled’ to compete at Wimbledon amid assault allegations

·

Nick Kyrgios will still chase a career-best grand slam semi-final at Wimbledon tonight despite confirmation he will face court in Canberra next month.

Kyrgios has been summoned and is listed to appear at the ACT Magistrates Court on August 2 following an allegation of common assault against former girlfriend, Chiara Passari, in December last year.

On conviction, the charge carries a maximum jail sentence of two years.

Nick Kyrgios and former girlfriend Chiara Passari in 2021.

Kyrgios made no comment on the allegations when approached by media as he left practice at Wimbledon yesterday.

Tournament organisers have declined to comment on the allegations, citing legal proceedings, but yesterday confirmed the 27-year-old remains scheduled to meet Chilean Cristian Garin for his quarter-final this evening.

“We are in touch with Nick’s team and he remains scheduled to play his quarter-final match tomorrow,” an All England Club spokesperson said.

While details of the assault allegations are not known, Kyrgios’ barrister Jason Moffett has confirmed he has been briefed in the matter and that the tennis star is aware of the charge.

“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” Moffett told The Canberra Times.

“The nature of the allegation is serious and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously. Given the matter is before the court … he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”

Ranked no. 40 in the world, Kyrgios’ on-court clash against Garin today will be his third trip to a singles quarter-final at a grand slam tournament, but he is yet to progress beyond that stage in a career that has taken him as high as world no.13.

SOURCE: The Age

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Family and friends react to arrest of Easey St murder suspect Perry Kouroumblis

Perry Kouroumblis was apprehended in Rome over the 1977 Easey Street murders of Susan Bartlett and Suzanne Armstrong.

Antonis Selekos: The chef who introduced panettone to the Greek Christmas table

Antonis Selekos is a young pastry chef who maintains a pastry shop, 'Antonis Selekos Conceptual Desserts,' where he sells panettones.

Abandoned ancient wine shop discovered in Greece

Archaeologists have uncovered a Roman-era wine shop, which was destroyed following a sudden event that resulted in the owners vacating it.