Ios becomes fourth island to be placed in a state of emergency amid earthquakes

·

Ios has become the fourth Cycladic island to be placed in a state of emergency due to recent seismic activity in the region.

The Civil Protection Ministry confirmed that the measure, effective until March 14, aims to manage the ongoing tremors. This decision follows similar declarations for Santorini, Amorgos, and Anafi, as the area remains on high alert.

Between January 26 and February 12, over 17,500 earthquakes were recorded in the region, according to the Seismology Laboratory of the National University of Athens.

The seismic activity, originating from submarine faults in the sea area between Andros, Santorini, and Amorgos, is attributed to a combination of tectonic and deeper magmatic forces.

Seismic activity within the Santorini caldera remains steady, though increased ground deformation has been noted, prompting continuous monitoring. Public buildings have shown good resistance to seismic forces so far.

Precautionary measures advised by the Civil Protection Ministry include avoiding large indoor gatherings, staying clear of abandoned buildings, and steering clear of certain coastal areas and ports.

Schools in Thera, Ios, Anafi and Amorgos will remain closed until February 21. The Committees will reconvene on February 21 for further updates.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Drew Pavlou claims ‘Billie Eilish got me deported from the US’

Australian activist Drew Pavlou says he was deported from the United States after spending 30 hours at LA International Airport.

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC off to winning starts in NPL Victoria

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC opened the new Victorian National Premier League season with wins.

George Calombaris returns to Melbourne with Auto Greek pop-up

George Calombaris is returning to Melbourne’s hospitality scene with Auto Greek, a one-month pop-up opening February 27.

Luke Sparos named as alleged mastermind of Moradian gangland murder

Luke Sparos has been identified as the man police allege orchestrated the 2023 execution-style killing of underworld figure Alen Moradian.

Sydney Olympic FC five-star display crushes SD Raiders FC

Sydney Olympic produced a commanding 5-1 victory over newly promoted SD Raiders FC in Round 2 of the NPL Men’s NSW.

You May Also Like

South Melbourne FC’s new jersey revealed

The presentation of the Hellas Melbourne shirt took place, which took place on Thursday 11 May in the club's clubhouse.

Debbie Georgopoulos: New housing for older women facing homelessness a ‘step forward’

Debbie Georgopoulos says the new housing for older women facing homelessness is a 'step forward' in New South Wales.

Pharos Alliance to present parent seminar on raising children bilingually

Pharos Alliance continues its work in revitalising the use of Modern Greek in Melbourne, guided by a strategic plan.