Dancing for a cause: O Periklis students fundraise for Royal Children’s Hospital

·

O Periklis Dance Group is run on the good-hearted nature of its volunteer dance teachers and staff who have shared their love for Greek dance in Melbourne since 2015.

Last year, the group held a TradFest ‘Traditional Festival’ as a fundraiser for the club. This year, they are bringing TradFest back, turning the event into a biannual festival of fun, traditional Greek music and community spirit.

Their fundraiser for this year’s TradFest will support the Royal Children’s Hospital (RCH) Good Friday Appeal and will be held on April 17. All organisers, musicians and staff are working free of charge to help raise funds.

The club has a personal reason for choosing the Royal Children’s Hospital as its cause. Their junior dancer Giorgio was diagnosed with a germinoma brain tumour in 2025 and spent countless hours at the RCH receiving treatment.

Giorgio faced each challenge with courage, and the group is proud of his determination. He has now received a clean bill of health, and his family were overjoyed to hear the bells he rang on the way out of the hospital.

O Periklis Dance Group students Kosta and Mina, top row.

O Periklis President Joseph Tsombanopoulos spoke with The Greek Herald about the fundraiser and the cause close to the club’s heart.

“[Giorgio] is how the Royal Children’s Hospital touched our club but basically anyone you speak to has some kind of story that involves the Royal Children’s Hospital and how they’ve helped out somebody,” Tsombanopoulos said.

“The amount of care they give is second to none. We’ve got a long line of people who are always giving back to the community and things like that so this is just an extension of that.

“We thought we’d combine our event that we started last year and do one for the Good Friday Appeal with all the profits that come from that night all going to the hospital.”

O Periklis students Konstantine (Kosta) and Mina have taken the fundraiser one step further, vowing to shave their heads at the TradFest in front of all attendees if they reach their $7,000 donation target for the RCH Good Friday Appeal.

Kosta and Mina are known for their long hair in the dance group and it’s formed part of their identity. They spoke to The Greek Herald about their fundraising campaign, and both emphasised the importance of the RCH Good Friday Appeal and how they admire the hospital staff who work tirelessly.

“The impact it has on families and their loved ones can be tough so this gesture is the least that I can do,” Kosta said. “I know that hair will always grow back, so shaving mine is a small and temporary sacrifice compared to the difference it can make to the hundreds of kids that will benefit from the money raised.”

Those around Kosta have “made such a big deal” about his decision to shave his head, however he sees it as being more than worthwhile.

“I’m choosing to shave my head because it supports a truly meaningful and worthwhile cause that is close to my heart, my family’s and O Periklis’ hearts,” he said.

Mina feels privileged to have the opportunity to be part of this initiative.

“For me, this is a small gesture of gratitude for the sacrifices they make every day,” he said. “It is also a way of honouring Giorgio, who, with the help of the RCH, was able to come out victorious from his battle last year.

“Witnessing that level of care, dedication, and love has inspired me to give something of my own — a small sacrifice for a much greater cause.”

O Periklis TradFest will be held on Friday, April 17 at 8pm at the Open Factory in Reservoir. All money raised will be donated to the Royal Children’s Hospital. Tickets to TradFest can be found here.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Most Greek adolescents have positive view of migrants

A survey carried out by the University Mental Health Research Institute showed Greek children aged between 11-15 are positive about migrants.

Reports allege ex-NSW minister Eleni Petinos met with Barilaro-linked developer

Sacked MP Eleni Petinos met with representatives of Sydney development company, Coronation Property weeks before a stop-work order was lifted

France confirms deal with Greece for six more Rafale jet fighters

France on Sunday confirmed that Greece had agreed to buy six more of its Rafale jets to boost their military.