Harrison Kitt pleads not guilty over crash that killed Joanne Shanahan and Tania McNeill

·

A young man who was involved in a crash that killed senior police officer Joanne Shanahan and a mother in April has pleaded not guilty in court yesterday.

Harrison Kitt pleaded not guilty to two counts of causing death by dangerous driving and one count of causing aggravated harm by dangerous driving in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Friday morning, ABC News reports.

David Edwardson QC, for Mr Kitt, reportedly told the court that his client has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and has manic episodes and psychotic features.

Senior police officer Joanne Shanahan and mother Tania McNeill died in the crash on April 25.(ABC News: Claire Campbell)

He said the diagnosis had been confirmed by a clinical psychiatrist at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Senior Greek Australian police officer Joanne Shanahan, 55, and mother Tania McNeill, 53, died in the crash at the intersection of Cross Road and Fullarton Road at Urrbrae on April 25.

READ MORE: Police officers and SA community bid public farewell to Joanne Shanahan
READ MORE: Harrison Kitt makes first court appearance after crash that killed Joanne Shanahan

Joanne Shanahan (nee Panayiotou) was a mother-of-two and well-respected Detective Chief Superintendent prior to her tragic death.

“Not only have we lost a beautiful person, we’ve lost a detective with a wealth of knowledge,’ Commissioner Stevens told media upon her death.

PHOTO: (L) Late Detective Chief Superintendent Joanne Shanahan’s husband and kids gathered at the scene on Tuesday / Image: 10 News First (R) Tributes to Joanne Shanahan and Tania McNeill at the scene of the crash.

The court heard reports into Mr Kitt’s mental competence could not be ordered until he has been committed to the District Court.

Mr Kitt has been ordered to stand trial in the District Court of South Australia. Magistrate Jay McGrath set an arraignment date in the District Court for January 15, 2021.

Police officers and SA community bid a public farewell to Joanne on May 8, with police flanking the streets of Adelaide’s inner south to say their last goodbyes.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

ANZACs of Greece honoured with plaque in Oberon

A new white marble plaque commemorating the Australians who served in Greece during both World Wars has been unveiled at the Oberon RSL.

Sydney’s Cretan community commemorates the Arkadi holocaust with solemn church service

A church service was held at St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Marrickville to commemorate the anniversary of the Arkadi holocaust.

Online workshop to be held for Greek language teachers with Macquarie Uni and SICLE

Macquarie University, Sydney Institute for Community Languages Education & University of Sydney, are holding a free workshop for Greek Exams.