Grieving relatives angered at St Basil’s over COVID deaths memorial service

·

Grieving relatives of the 45 elderly Greek Australians who died from COVID-19 at a St Basil’s aged care home in Fawkner, operated by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, say that a one-year memorial service is the first meaningful contact they’ve had from the home. 

Father Evmenios Vasilopoulos, chair of St Basil’s Homes for the Aged, invited the families to the service to take place at the end of the month. 

The letter said the home extended their “deepest sympathies and condolences to the families, friends, residents and staff” affected by the deaths, according to a report from The Age

In July last year, 94 of the 117 mostly Greek and Serbian-born residents, and close to 80% of its staff members, were infected after COVID-19 spread uncontrolled throughout the home in Fawkner. 

Relatives who spoke to The Age on Monday said they were disappointed the offer to attend a one-year memorial service was the first meaningful contact they’d had from St Basil’s since their parents had died.

Source: The Age

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Pressure on Victorian ALP’s Steve Staikos after Peter Dutton meme backlash

The Coalition has demanded consequences for Victoria's ALP state secretary, Steve Staikos, after a personal meme targeting Peter Dutton.

Discobolus monument under consideration for NSW State Heritage Register

The Discobolus Monument in Sydney Olympic Park is now being considered for inclusion on the New South Wales State Heritage Register.

Owner of Betros Bros frustrated due to rise in alleged assaults on staff by shoplifters

Owner of supermarket Betros Bros in Queensland has been left frustrated as repeat shoplifters allegedly assault his staff and customers.