Greek family mourns loss of son and brother Michael Barsi after crash death

·

A gut-wrenching visit to the morgue has given a Greek family some comfort after their 19-year-old son and brother died in a tragic car crash last week.

Michael was one of three 19-year-olds travelling in a Nissan 200SX along the busy road in Hurstville at 2:15 a.m. The car then struck a power pole, ripping it from the ground and bringing down powerlines.

Read More: Greek Australian teen tragically dies after fatal crash in Hurstville

The Daily Telegraph reports that Bianca Barsi, 21, said her mother Nicki, father Michael and younger brother Dominic have been leaning on family since the heartbreaking incident last weekend.

The 19-year-old car lover was only a four minute drive from home.

“The police came to our door that morning and said: ‘Sorry for your loss, your son has died in a car accident’,” Michael’s sister Ms Barsi said.

“I still feel like he’s just going to walk through the door now.”

Barsi family: Nicki, Michael, Bianca and Dominic with Michael, who was killed in a car accident on King Georges rd Hurstville. Photo: Daily Telegraph

A former student of Marist Catholic College, Penshurst, Michael enjoyed spending time with his mates and had a strong passion for cars.

“He did that every Friday and Saturday night. We knew all the boys. We’ve known some since he was in Year 7. They’re family at the end of the day,” she said.

Ms Barsi told friends on social media he “was a good boy”.

“He was a good boy who didn’t take risks, was always very careful but loved fast cars,” she said.

“This is the first time I have lost someone close to me. It’s harder on my little brother Dominic, he’s only 14.”

The crashed car the day after the crash on King Georges Road, Hurstville. Picture: Tim Hunter/Daily Telegraph

Ms Barsi said Michael was “inseparable” from his father and colleague. He had planned to continue the Barsi & Sons family carpentry business.

“My dad’s taking it really bad,” she said.

“They worked together everyday for the past two-three years. They would build houses and fix cars.”

Ms Barsi said her family wanted the funeral to be a “celebration” but COVID restrictions were making it difficult to plan.

“My brother is never going to be a groom, so for Greeks, we see this as celebrating a wedding,” Dominic said.

“He saw his friends as family. We want to dedicate this to his friends also. We haven’t set a date yet. We don’t know what we’ll do about numbers.”

But a confronting visit to the morgue gave Ms Barsi some closure.

“My brother had a smile on his face. That gives me comfort,” she said.

Ms Barsi said the 18-year-old back-seat passenger had been her brother’s best friend since primary school.

“He used to come over everyday. Our families are really close. He’s taking it really hard,” she said.

“They were all friends. They picked what they wanted to do. We’re not angry.”

Ms Barsi said a GoFundMe account has been created to raise money for young crash victims’ families. She said they might organise a car show to raise money down the track.

“We have a big Greek family. Some people don’t have that help. We want to do something positive and something Michael would have liked,” she said.

At the time, police said speed was being investigated as a cause of the crash. Henry Piho, who lived near the crash site, gave CPR to Michael.

“There have been three crashes on this road in the past year. This is sadly the first fatal. Every day since has been sad. I think about it before I go to sleep,” Mr Piho said.

The father-of-four said Michael’s father visited him earlier this week.

“He asked me where his son took his last breath,” he said. “We had a coffee together and I prayed for him.”

A NSW Police spokeswoman said no charges had been laid.

The spokeswoman said the driver of a Volkswagen Golf at the scene was breath tested but the results came back negative. She said police were still planning on interviewing the driver of the car Michael was a passenger in.

Sourced By: Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Jason Sourasis faces dual legal battles over Pendlebury allegations and $6.7m tax debt

Sports entrepreneur Jason Sourasis, accused of misappropriating millions from Scott Pendlebury, also owes the ATO $6.7 m, new filings reveal.

I failed Greek as a kid, can I learn Greek as an adult?

 In general, adults and children, especially young children, learn languages differently, because they are cognitively different.

Greek Community of Melbourne announces its Greece 1821 bicentenary celebrations

2021 will see the 200th Anniversary of the commencement of the Greek War of Independence and by extension, the Bicentenary of the Modern Greek...