Turkey’s Defence Minister issues direct threat to Greece

·

Turkish Defence Minister, Hulusi Akar, has warned that the Greek people will “suffer the most damage” as a result of tensions that, he said, are being fueled by Athens and by recent moves from Greece to strengthen its armed forces. 

He also reiterated Ankara’s allegations that Greek fighter jets harassed the Cesme hydrographic vessel last week. 

“As you know, Greek fighter jets disturbed the Cesme, which is conducting scientific research. Of course, the appropriate response was given by our officials,” Akar said.

“I emphasise once more that this attitude has nothing to do with good neighborly relations.”

Akar also accused Athens of trying to turn Greek-Turkish disputes into a broader issue affecting Turkey’s relations with the European Union and the United States.

Referring to Ankara’s “Blue Homeland ” doctrine, which envisages Turkish influence over large swathes of the Mediterranean, he said “we have no aspirations for anyone’s rights, lands and waters.”

“But will not give up our rights. We are determined and able to defend our rights in the Blue Homeland, as well as in Cyprus,” he added. 

In response, Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias, told Parliament that Greece is not going to enter the process of responding to Turkey on every occasion. “Greece is confident,” he stressed. 

At the same time, Turkish fighter jets conducted unauthorised overflights on Friday above the islets of Agathonissi, Panagia and Oinousses.

In general, Athens sees a pattern of behavior in the recent inflammatory rhetoric, the dispatch of the Cesme in the Aegean and Friday’s overflights. This is mainly due to Ankara’s insistence on expanding the agenda of exploratory contacts, which recently resumed between the two countries, to include a wide range of issues.

The next round of exploratory contacts is not expected before the completion of the naval exercises announced by Ankara until March 5.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Dementia patient faces eviction amid dispute with Melbourne conwoman Athena Razos

Serial conwoman, Athena Razos, is facing new allegations over her involvement in a $520,000 loan that was never repaid.

Greece’s PM reacts to resignation of SYRIZA leader Alexis Tsipras

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said Alexis Tsipras' decision to resign from the SYRIZA leadership was “expected.”

National Hellenic Research Foundation ‘Eleftherios K. Venizelos’ opens branch in Melbourne

The Management of the National Research Foundation "Eleftherios K. Venizelos" based at the paternal House-Museum of Eleftherios Venizelos in Halepa, Chania, unanimously decided to...