Turkey blames Greek Commander for searching cargo ship suspected of carrying weapons

·

Turkey prevented German forces belonging to a European Union military mission from carrying out a full search of a Turkish cargo ship they suspected of taking weapons to Libya, both countries confirmed on Monday.

Soldiers from the frigate Hamburg boarded the Turkish freighter, the Rosaline A, overnight, but had to abandon checks and withdraw after Turkey protested to the EU mission, the German Defense Ministry said.

The frigate was operating in the Mediterranean as part of the EU’s Irini mission, which aims to stop arms reaching the warring factions in Libya.

“By the time the soldiers left the ship, they had not found anything suspicious,” a German defense ministry spokesman said.

Turkish security sources said the Rosalina-A was carrying various materials such as food and paint, and that the search team had violated international law by not waiting for permission from Turkey.

It said the soldiers had found nothing despite spending the entire night opening containers on the ship.

“Following the search that lasted until the early hours of the morning, the soldiers understood that there was nothing on the ship apart from humanitarian aid, foods such as biscuits, and paint materials, and left the ship,” a source said.

Confirming a report in the news magazine Der Spiegel, the German spokesman said the Hamburg had intercepted the Rosaline A about 200 km (125 miles) north of the Libyan city of Benghazi on Sunday night.

He said the Hamburg had followed standard procedure by waiting four hours for approval from the flag country and then boarding. Later, once the objection arrived, they withdrew.

“All procedures were followed correctly,” a German foreign ministry spokeswoman said.

The 16,000-tonne container ship left the Turkish port of Gemlik near Bursa last week, and was last seen off Athens, heading southwest towards Libya, according to Refinitiv Eikon data.

Turkey cries foul at German attempt to police Libya blockade:

Turkey’s Foreign Ministry on Monday summoned the ambassadors of Germany, Italy and the European Union to protest what it calls “the illegal” interception of the Libya-bound Turkish vessel.

Operation Irini, a European Union military operation under the umbrella of the Common Security and Defense Policy, was launched on March 31, 2020 with the aim to enforce the United Nations arms embargo to Libya.

Currently the operation is under the command of a Greek officer. Captain Theodoros Mikropoulos officially assumed the position of Commander at Sea for the second half of 2020. The commander’s ship is the frigate “Adrias,” while his naval staff is comprised of 14 Greek staff officers, among others.

These are all facts which have been highlighted by the Turkish media.

“Provocation by the Greek commander in East Mediterranean,” writes one Turkish media outlet, TRThaber.

“Provocation by the Greek commander in East Mediterranean,” wrote one media outlet, TRThaber, claiming that the “order to the German frigate was given by the Greek Commander of the Irini mission.”

Turkey’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Hami Aksoy, also added his voice to the controversy yesterday, saying: “Operation Irini is a one-sided operation.”

“It is an operation that aims to punish the legitimate Libyan government and does not inspect arms supplies to the putschist Gen. Khalifa Haftar, and is involved in arbitrary practices,” Aksoy said.

He also noted that the Turkish vessel’s captain cooperated with Operation Irini forces and shared extensive information about the vessel’s cargo and navigation, but faced a long inspection for hours despite their cooperation.

“All the staff was detained and the captain was held at gunpoint by soldiers during the inspection,” Aksoy said.

“We protest this act, which was carried out by force and without authorisation (and) retain the right to seek compensation.”

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC to face Auckland FC in historic OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC will face Auckland FC in the historic inaugural OFC Pro League final on Sunday at Eden Park.

Cretan community commemorates Battle of Crete with gala event in Sydney

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW filled Sydney with Cretan music, remembrance and celebration during its annual dance evening.

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

You May Also Like

Three Greek dishes voted as most difficult to pronounce

In a new study conducted by financial provider Remitly, three Greek dishes have been named as some of the most difficult to pronounce.

Santorini volcano erupts more often when sea level falls, study reveals

A study on Santorini has revealed when the sea level falls more than 40 metres below the present-day level, a volcanic eruption is triggered.

Three Greek Australians named in the prestigious Forbes 30 under 30 list in Asia

The Forbes 30 Under 30 Class of 2021 lists 600 of the brightest young entrepreneurs, leaders and stars from around the world and this year, three...