Mitsotakis asks locals to conserve power as Greece battles fires and ‘worst heatwave since 1987’

·

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, warned on Monday that Greece is suffering its ‘worst heatwave since 1987,’ which claimed more than 1,000 lives.

Temperatures reached 45 degrees in inland areas of Greece and are expected to remain high for most of the week.

Speaking during a meeting at a power management center, Mitsotakis called on his fellow citizens to help the country out in its hour of need and conserve their power.

“Everything humanly possible has been done to secure the country’s power supply. But we are also asking consumers to help us,” Mitsotakis said at the event.

READ MORE: Wildfires wreck havoc across Greek villages.

Authorities have asked citizens to minimise power usage at peak times, notably in the afternoon and evening, in order to prevent the electricity grid from being over-burdened.

The intense heat has helped fan wildfires that have destroyed more than 3,000 hectares of pine and olive groves in the country’s west since Saturday.

Deputy Civil Protection Minister, Nikos Hardalias, said there had been 1,584 fires across Greece in July compared to 953 in 2019, and there had been 116 new blazes in just the last 24 hours.

There are fires across Greece at the moment.

“We are no longer talking about climate change but about a climate threat,” Hardalias told Star TV.

The fire near Patras was not fully under control on Monday, with five villages and a seaside town already evacuated. Eight people have also been hospitalised with burns and respiratory problems.

READ MORE: Wildfire in western Greece forces village, beach evacuations.

The fire service on Monday also ordered the precautionary evacuation of a village in the southwestern Peloponnese as it battled a wildfire near Vassilitsi, in the Pylos-Nestor municipality in the region of Messinia.

A fire on Rhodes is largely under control, officials said.

Officials were optimistic, however, that a fire on the island of Rhodes, near the Turkish coast, was on the back foot after more firefighters and resources were deployed overnight.

READ MORE: Massive fire rips through Rhodes, leaves much of the island without power and water.

“Dawn finds Rhodes much better than the day before,” South Aegean Governor, George Hatzimarkos, said in a statement.

He added that the fire fronts were receding and “almost under control.”

Source: RT.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Tsitsipas brothers suffer disappointing defeat to US pair in Australian Open doubles

Tsitsipas brothers Stefanos and Petros suffered a disappointing defeat to US pair Mackenzie McDonald and Tommy Paul in the first round of the Australian Open doubles.

George Calombaris returns to Melbourne with Auto Greek pop-up

George Calombaris is returning to Melbourne’s hospitality scene with Auto Greek, a one-month pop-up opening February 27.

Tsitsipas defends Marseille title in victory against Felix Auger-Aliassime

Stefanos Tsitsipas claimed the Marseille trophy on Sunday after a victory over Canadian teenager Felix Auger-Aliassime.