Italy returns Parthenon fragment to Athens in nudge to UK

·

An Italian museum is lending a fragment of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece, in what both sides hope will become a permanent return that might encourage the British Museum to send their own pieces of the works back too.

Sicily’s A. Salinas Archaeological Museum has signed an agreement with the Acropolis Museum in Athens for a once-renewable, four-year loan of a fragment it has from stone VI on the eastern frieze of the Parthenon.

The fragment will be exchanged for a loan of a marble statue of Athena and a protogeometric vase.

READ MORE: Fragments of the Parthenon Marbles reunited in the Acropolis Museum.

“The return to Athens of this important artefact of the Parthenon goes in the direction of building a Europe of culture that has its roots in our history and in our identity,” Sicily’s councillor for cultural heritage and identity, Alberto Samonà, said.

In a statement, the museum said the ultimate aim was the “indefinite return” of the fragment to Athens.

READ MORE: ‘Paving the way’: Italy to return a piece of the Parthenon frieze to Greece.

Italy’s fragment has been loaned to Athens in the past, but for short periods of time. Sicily’s regional authorities have initiated talks with the Greek Culture Ministry to make the loan permanent, putting it on the agenda of a ministry committee that handles such returns, the statement said.

Photo: Archeological Museum Antonino Salinas via AP.

The statement quoted Greek authorities as praising the initiative in the hope that it encourages the British Museum to return its sculptures, which were taken from the Parthenon by Lord Elgin, the British ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, in the early 19th century.

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, offered a similar loan deal to UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, in November last year, as a means to facilitate the return of the Parthenon Marbles from the British Museum. Johnson rejected the demands of his Greek counterpart.

READ MORE: UK PM rebuffs Greek PM’s demand for talks on Parthenon marbles.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Greek violinist Leonidas Kavakos nominated for Grammy Award

Greek violinist Leonidas Kavakos has been nominated for a Grammy following the release of a Beethoven symphony album earlier in 2024.

Tom Hanks delivers inspiring speech after receiving Lifetime Achievement Award at Golden Globe Awards

Tom Hanks was awarded the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the 77th Annual Golden Globe awards, delivering an inspiring speech in recognition of actors past, present and for the future.

Mitsotakis unveils sweeping reforms on agriculture, consumer protection and migration

In a key cabinet meeting, Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis announced a series of wide-ranging reforms aimed at improving daily life in Greece.