Greece to boost military amid tension with Turkey

·

Greece plans to acquire arms, boost its armed forces and revamp its defence industry, the government’s spokesman said on Monday, as tensions with NATO ally Turkey over energy resources in the eastern Mediterranean grow.

Greece, which emerged from its third international bailout in 2018 and has been struggling with the economic impact of the novel coronavirus, wants to spend part of its multi-billion-euro cash reserves on its defense sector.

“The Turkish leadership is unleashing, on a near daily basis, threats of war and makes provocative statements against Greece,” Greek government spokesman, Stelios Petsas, said.

“We respond with political, diplomatic and operational readiness, determined to do whatever is necessary to protect our sovereign rights.”

Air force jets participate in a joined training drill with armed forces from Greece and the United Arab Emirates near the Greek island of Crete, southern Greece. Photo: Greek Defense Ministry via AP.

Petsas said Greece’s Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, would be announcing details of plans to upgrade the country’s military during his annual state of the economy speech on Saturday.

“We are in contact with friendly countries in order to reinforce the equipment of our armed forces,” Petsas said.

Last week, Greece raised 2.5 billion euros ($4 billion) in a bond auction as the country seeks to increase military spending and raise funds for businesses affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

Greek media has reported the purchases may include French-made Rafale fighter jets and at least one French frigate.

Petsas said Mitsotakis would be meeting with French President, Emmanuel Macron, on Thursday on the sidelines of a meeting in Corsica of European Union Mediterranean countries.

The two leaders are expected to discuss the European Union’s strained relationship with Turkey, Macron’s office said.

Turkey and Greece have long disagreed over the extent of their continental shelves. Tensions rose last month after Ankara sent an exploration vessel into disputed waters, accompanied by warships, days after Greece signed a maritime deal with Egypt.

Ankara has since been extending the vessel’s work in the wider region, issuing advisories which Athens calls illegal.

READ MORE: Turkey issues third NAVTEX for illegal survey activities in East Med.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

Dominic Lambrinos leads $130m Hunter Valley ‘seven-star’ resort plan

Finance and hotel developer Dominic Lambrinos is behind a $130 million “seven-star” resort and medi-spa planned for the NSW Hunter Valley, supported by 70...

Former Brisbane doctor Stan Theodoros charged with 148 alleged sexual offences

Former Brisbane GP Stan Theodoros has been charged with 148 alleged sexual offences following a major Queensland Police investigation.

Snowtown killer James Vlassakis unmasked as court lifts suppression order

Snowtown murderer James Vlassakis has been identified for the first time after South Australia’s Court of Appeal revoked suppression orders.

You May Also Like

Greek armed forces mark delivery of the first of 18 French Rafale fighter jets

French planemaker, Dassault Aviation, delivered on Wednesday the first Rafale fighter jet to the Hellenic Air Force.

Cumberland Mayor Steve Christou vows to go ahead with Australia Day events despite backlash

Mr Christou said last week that cancelling Australia Day events was “completely unacceptable and quite frankly unAustralian”.

Greece ranks second globally for Blue Flags, but two Attica beaches lose status

Just one week after the announcement of the 2025 Blue Flag Awards, two well-known beaches have had their Blue Flag status revoked.