France and US join condemnation of Turkey’s plan to reopen ‘ghost town’ in Cyprus

·

France and the United States on Wednesday publicly criticised a move by Turkish Cypriot authorities to partially reopen an abandoned town in Cyprus for potential resettlement.

Turkish Cypriots said on Tuesday that part of Varosha would come under civilian control and people would be able to reclaim properties – angering Greek Cypriots who accused their Turkish rivals of orchestrating a land-grab by stealth.

Varosha, an eerie collection of derelict high-rise hotels and residences in a military zone nobody has been allowed to enter, has been deserted since a 1974 war split the island.

Varosha has been deserted since a 1974 war split the island of Cyprus.

READ MORE: ‘Illegal and unacceptable’: Cyprus President calls National Council over Turkey’s plan to reopen Varosha.

French Foreign Minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, discussed the matter with his Cypriot counterpart on Tuesday and will raise the topic at the United Nations, a spokesperson for Le Drian’s ministry said.

Cyprus is represented in the EU by an internationally recognised Greek Cypriot government. France presides over the UN Security Council this month.

“France strongly regrets this unilateral move, upon which there had been no consultations, which constitutes a provocation and harms re-establishing the confidence needed to get back to urgent talks over reaching a fair and long-lasting solution to the Cypriot question,” Le Drian’s spokesperson said.

French Foreign Minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian.

READ MORE: Erdogan visits northern Cyprus, says ‘two-state deal’ is the only way forward.

In the US, Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, said any attempt to reopen Varosha would be at odds with UN resolutions and commitments to resume peace talks.

“The US is working with like-minded partners to refer this concerning situation to the UN security council and will urge a strong response,” he said in a statement.

In congressional testimony, US Undersecretary of State, Victoria Nuland, also condemned the Turkish resettlement plan.

US Undersecretary of State, Victoria Nuland.

READ MORE: US Senate urges US-EU response to Turkish provocations in Varosha.

Peace efforts have repeatedly floundered on the ethnically split island. A new Turkish Cypriot leadership, backed by Turkey, says a peace accord between two sovereign states is the only viable option.

Greek Cypriots reject a two-state deal for the island that would accord sovereign status to the breakaway Turkish Cypriot state that only Ankara recognises.

Source: Ekathimerini.

READ MORE: Bones of Charalambos Kokotsis’ missing brother found years after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

President George Phillips opens up on future of the Inner West Hawks FC

President of the Inner West Hawks FC George Phillips has opened up to The Greek Herald about the future of the club.

Sydney man refused bail after allegedly ‘king hitting’ John Totsis

The man who allegedly king hit John Totsis in a wild road rage incident on Peel St in Belmore, Sydney, on May 28, has been refused bail.

Greeks in lockdown react angrily to Armed Forces Day projection on Greek Parliament

Greece marked Armed Forces Day on Saturday with a video projected onto the Hellenic Parliament facade showing the history of the Greek army.