EU executive calls for probe into alleged migrant pushbacks in Greece

·

The European Union’s executive called for an investigation into alleged migrant pushbacks in Greece on Thursday. 

It follows a report by German media outlets Der Spiegel and ARD which claim Greek and Croatian officials carry out operations that are, at times, violent. 

“Some of these reports are shocking,” the EU’s Home Affairs Commissioner Ylva Johansson said.

Johansson says the evidence presented in the report seems very credible, that people on the EU’s borders were being subjected systematically to violence and that EU money was being misused to support forces that commit such “unacceptable” acts.

The German media report said it had evidence including footage of a Greek coast guard forcing migrants back into the Aegean Sea. 

The Greek Herald has not independently verified the allegations.

A Greek national flag and a European Union flag flutter inside a newly inaugurated closed-type migrant camp on the island of Samos, Greece, September 18, 2021 (Photo: REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis)

Migration Minister Notis Mitarakis has denied reports of migrant pushbacks and said it operated within international law to protect Greek and EU borders.

“We strongly deny these allegations. Greek borders are EU borders and we operate within international and European law to protect them,” Mitarakis said in a statement.

“We make no apology for our continued focus on breaking up these human trafficking operations, and protecting Europe’s border.”

Under international law, people have a right to claim asylum and it is forbidden to send potential asylum-seekers back to where their lives or well-being might be in danger.

But these principles have often been ignored in Europe in recent years amid periodic surges in the number of migrants fleeing wars or poverty in the Middle East, Asia, and Africa.

Frontline states in the migrant crisis such as Greece and Italy have often felt overwhelmed and have at times sought to force people arriving irregularly to return to where they came from without assessing each case individually.

Dunja Mijatović, the European Commissioner of Human Rights, issued similar calls in May for Greece to end pushback operations. 

Source: Ekathimerini, Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Expansion work set to begin at Athens International Airport

Preliminary construction for the expansion of Athens International Airport is scheduled to commence in the first quarter of 2025.

Peter Zervas, former Hells Angels bikie, charged with domestic assault

Former Hells Angels bikie Peter Zervas has been charged with assaulting his girlfriend last week by the Campbelltown Local Court.

Thanasi Kokkinakis sets up second round clash at Italian Open

Greek Australian Thanasis Kokkinakis managed to qualify for the second round of the Italian Open tournament on Wednesday.