Greece to fully fence off Evros border with Turkey

·

Following a rise in illegal immigration from its eastern neighbour, Greece has committed to extend a fence along its Evros land border with Turkey and expand surveillance efforts.

The decision was made during a regular meeting of the Governmental Council for National Security (KYSEA), chaired by Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, on Tuesday.

Following the meeting, a government statement said Mitsotakis and Greece’s top immigration, security and military officials, discussed “the problem of increased pressure for illegal entry, both along the land border and along the sea border” in the eastern Aegean Sea.

“It was decided to gradually expand the fence along the whole length of the Evros,” with an initial focus on potential trouble spots, the statement said.

“It was also decided to upgrade and strengthen surveillance systems,” which at present will see an increase in patrols along the frontier.

Migration and Asylum Minister Notis Mitarakis, who had already announced the extension of the fence by around 80 km on Friday during an interview with SKAI radio, participated in the meeting at the invitation of the Prime Minister.

The Evros fence being extended in 2021.

In 2020, Turkey said it was opening its western borders to migrants wanting to enter Europe. As a response, Greece expanded the existing fence in the Evros region and increased frontier security to prevent thousands of people from breaking through.

Greek police statistics released last week revealed that of the 7,484 total migrants arrested for illegal entry to Greece this year, 3,554 were from the Evros border.

The national security decision on Tuesday comes after Greek authorities have faced severe criticism this month over a group of 38 refugees who were stranded on an islet in the Evros River. It was alleged the group had been pushed back and forth for days by both Greek and Turkish security personnel.

Greek officials deny the allegations, maintaining the refugees were on Turkish territory and that Greek police moved swiftly to locate and extract the refugees.

SOURCE: AP News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

World Council of Churches references Greek Genocide for first time in official statement

In a historic first, the World Council of Churches has officially referenced the Greek Genocide in a joint communiqué.

Greek Festival of Sydney release official program of events for 2024

The 42nd Greek Festival of Sydney have released their official program of events from February 2024. The festival is an initiative of GOCNSW.

Historic ties remembered as Greece’s Evzones march in Adelaide’s ANZAC Day parade

During a Dawn Service at West Torrens on Friday, April 25, the Evzones stood guard alongside Australian army battalion in remembrance.