EU gives ‘green light’ to start membership talks with North Macedonia and Albania

·

The European Union can start membership negotiations with Albania and North Macedonia, according to a draft decision by the bloc’s 27 member states seen by Reuters on Monday and due to be finalised this week.

If approved as expected, the agreement would end two years of delays and signal new momentum for all six Western Balkan countries – Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Albania, Bosnia and North Macedonia – seeking to join the EU.

North Macedonia and Albania had seen their hopes dashed last year as France and the Netherlands sounded scepticism over their track records on democracy and fighting corruption, fearful of allowing new members in at a time when the EU’s cohesion was already damaged by Britain’s departure from the bloc.

But Paris and The Hague eased their objections last month and the plans to allow talks to start have gained momentum despite the coronavirus crisis, with Brussels eager to show its determination to bring the Balkans into the EU fold.

“I don’t think what is happening (with coronavirus) is going to alter the decision of the member states,” EU Foreign Policy Chief, Josep Borrell, told the media on Friday.

EU Foreign Policy Chief, Josep Borrell, said the decision will not be delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak. Source: Al Jazeera.

Borrell said he also telephoned Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic to reassure him of the EU’s support, after Vucic praised China for its help in fighting coronavirus in Serbia.

Greece was still not on board before the weekend with the decision, which requires unanimity of all EU members. But diplomatic sources said Athens has given its approval after the latest draft included stronger language on protecting Greek and other national minorities in Albania.

If no country objects, the decision is expected to be formally adopted by the 27 EU members’ Europe ministers at mid-week, the sources added.

“It’s a testing time for Europe. The EU needs to show that it maintains its capacity to act amidst the coronavirus crisis. That’s also why we were able to find an agreement on enlargement now. It proves that the EU is still working and delivering,” a senior EU diplomat told Reuters on Monday.

EU and Balkan leaders are due to hold a summit in Zagreb in May in a show of support for the six countries of the region.

Source: Reuters.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

The Greek Herald’s Publisher Dimitra Skalkos meets with Archbishop Makarios

On Monday, December 22, Archbishop Makarios of Australia received the Publisher of the newspaper The Greek Herald, Ms Dimitra Skalkos.

Maria Sakkari prepares to ‘win’ the Australian Open 2023

Maria Sakkari declared in an interview where she was representing Greece at the United Cup 2022, “I want to win the Australian Open!"

Tsitsipas brothers suffer disappointing defeat to US pair in Australian Open doubles

Tsitsipas brothers Stefanos and Petros suffered a disappointing defeat to US pair Mackenzie McDonald and Tommy Paul in the first round of the Australian Open doubles.