‘Definitely not racist’: Cumberland Council Mayor Steve Christou at centre of petition storm

·

Residents are demanding a western Sydney Mayor be sacked over “racist” and “offensive” comments, according to The Daily Telegraph.

However, Cumberland Mayor Steve Christou has called the petition with almost 11,000 signatures “insulting”.

The petition on change.org, which started almost one month ago, was created by a local Muslim woman who said she was “hurt and upset” after public statements were made by Clr Christou over a Cumberland mosque rejection.

In January, plans for a mosque in Factory St, Granville were dumped after Cumberland Council won an appeal against the development in the Land and Environment Court, arguing that the residents would be exposed to unreasonable noise and traffic.

READ MORE: Cumberland Mayor Steve Christou sends additional support to Berala’s multicultural communities

On January 19, Clr Christou called the rejection for the 300-worshipper mosque a “fantastic win” on social media, and issued a press release that said the rejection “serves the greater betterment for the Granville community”.

The post received much scrutiny, with some calling his words “a disgrace” on social media.

He later told SBS Arabic24 he should have worded the Facebook post “better” and that he would help them find an alternative location for the mosque “that works well for everybody”. 

The petition also cites Clr Christou’s criticism of a State Government coronavirus-exemption for Eid-al-Adha prayers organised for up to 400 people at the Auburn Gallipoli mosque in August last year.

People have commented on the petition, calling his behaviour “disgraceful”, “causing divide” among the Muslim community and “insulting the people”.

But the mayor said the petition was “grossly incorrect”.

“I’m definitely not racist,” he told NewsLocal.

Full Story: The Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Greek-owned businesses win at the 2023 NSW Restaurant and Catering Awards

JAAKS and The Kyle Bay have won two prestigious categories at the recent 2023 NSW Restaurant & Catering Awards for Excellence.

Boxing Day: Why do we celebrate it in Australia?

Have you ever wondered why we celebrate Boxing Day, or what the story behind it is? Find out the full story here.

Greek Australian soccer legend, Ulysses Kokkinos, passes away

Greek Australian soccer legend, Ulysses Kokkinos, has passed away today at the age of 73. He will be remembered fondly.