Schools issue warning as SA Youth Pastor Daniel Menelaou faces child abuse charges abroad

·

Daniel Menelaou, a former Adelaide youth pastor now facing charges in the United States of possession of child abuse material, previously ran wellbeing programs at two South Australian schools while employed by Futures Church.

According to The Advertiser, Salisbury High School acting principal Danni Margan informed families in a letter dated April 10 that Menelaou had visited the school on June 21, 2022, March 3, 2023, and June 15, 2023.

He attended in his capacity with Futures Church, formerly known as Influencers Church, as part of lunchtime and wellbeing initiatives.

“Due to the nature of the lunchtime and wellbeing program activities being conducted in open areas and visible to school staff, we do not believe any child at the school was put at risk,” the letter stated.

“The information available to the school at this time suggests that there is no need for any concern for any child at our school.”

Daniel Menelaou. Photo: LinkedIn.

An Education Department spokesperson said letters were issued at two Adelaide schools where Menelaou had been present, “out of an abundance of caution.”

“There is no reason to believe any child at either school was put at risk,” the spokesperson added, noting information about support services was made available to concerned families.

Menelaou, 28, worked across multiple Futures Church campuses in South Australia from 2018 before relocating to Alpharetta, Georgia, where he held a similar role.

In early March, he was arrested in the US after a tip-off alleged he had shared sexually explicit videos involving children via a messaging app.

Authorities seized electronic devices, and he was charged with possession of child abuse material.

He was granted bail in late March after paying almost $200,000 to secure his release.

Futures Church, which has campuses in both Australia and the US, responded to the arrest, stating they were “horrified” by the charges and “categorically condemn these (alleged) actions in the strongest possible terms.”

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

‘A modern saint’: Tributes flow for much-loved Father Nektarios Zorbalas

An outpouring of love and remembrance has followed the recent passing of Archimandrite Father Nektarios Zorbalas.

Young doctor Yianni Efstathiadis retells life-changing ICU experience after almost dying from Covid-19

An Greek Australian emergency doctor in Melbourne says he feels lucky to be alive after spending in ICU with coronavirus.

Cate Bakos claims investors ‘more comfortable’ using technology to scope out properties

COVID-19 has encouraged property investors to cast a wider net in their search for deals, with new technology making it effortless to view potential...