Convicted murderer who stabbed Frankie Prineas 37 times has jail sentence extended

·

Convicted killer, Jayscen Anthony Newby, will spend at least five more years in jail after the ACT Court of Appeal found his original sentence was “manifestly inadequate,” ABC News reports.

Newby was sentenced to 20 years in jail and a 10-year non-parole period in June last year, after stabbing Frankie Prineas to death while he was on a Tinder date with a woman Newby had known.

READ MORE: Man faces court after pleading guilty to murdering Greek Australian Frankie Prineas.

At the time of Newby’s trial, ACT Chief Justice Helen Murrell described the murder scene, at a home in Charnwood in Canberra’s north, as a “bloodbath.”

The murder scene at a home in Charnwood in Canberra’s north.

Prineas’ family also said the sentence was too short and that they were “stunned” by the outcome.

READ MORE: ‘Absolutely stunned’: Family react to 20 year sentence for murder of Frankie Prineas.

In response, ACT Director of Public Prosecutions, Shane Drumgold, called for a tougher sentence. He told the court that Newby was given too large a discount on his sentence for his plea of guilty and cooperation in the court process.

Convicted killer, Jayscen Anthony Newby.

READ MORE: Prosecutors call for harsher sentence for Frankie Prineas’ killer.

On Thursday, the Court of Appeal backed the prosecution’s argument.

“He was an entirely innocent man who unwittingly became a victim of Newby’s anger and extreme violence directed to control [the woman],” the appeal court said.

The court resentenced Newby to 24 years in jail, with a non-parole period of 15 years, meaning he will not be eligible for release until 2035.

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Fresco of Helen of Troy uncovered at Pompeii

Nearly 2,000 years since it was buried by volcanic rubble, the lost city of Pompeii is yielding even more impressive discoveries. According to msn.com, archeologists...

New casual Greek restaurant brings meze and cocktails to Adelaide’s CBD

Andrew Papadakis, the visionary who founded and successfully sold Meze Mazi, returns to the vibrant Adelaide restaurant scene with his newest venture, Dino’s. According to...

Two Greek women included in ’30 Under 30′ Forbes list

In this year's European Forbes "30 Under 30" list, two exceptional Greek women have managed to stand out for their successful paths in two...

2,300-year-old tomb unearthed in Greece

A tomb in the ancient Macedonian city of Aegae in modern Vergina, Greece, has been unearthed according to an All That’s Interesting report. The tomb is believed...

Yorgos Lanthimos’ new movie ‘Kinds of Kindness’ included in Cannes lineup

New films from Yorgos Lanthimos, Andrea Arnold and Francis Ford Coppola, as well as a portrait of 1980s Donald Trump, will compete for the...

You May Also Like

Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink in NSW receives $18 million grant to fund repairs

NSW Treasurer, Matt Kean, announced on Wednesday that the Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink will receive an $18 million WestInvest grant to fund urgent repairs...

Eight Greek Australians recognised in Football Canterbury volunteer awards

The Canterbury District Soccer Football Association (CDSFA) of Sydney's south and inner west hosted their annual volunteer recognition dinner on Friday at Waterview in...

Prime Minister unveils four-year roadmap for Greece

Greece's re-elected Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis unveiled his government’s roadmap for the next four years during an inaugural cabinet meeting in Athens on Wednesday. According...